FADO Globe replacement

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

looter
Modern Fan

FADO Globe replacement

Postby looter » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 am

I am looking for a replacement for the IKEA FADO globe light. IKEA doesn't stock it any longer. I have searched the MANY lighting threads, but many of the links are out of date.

Has any one recently purchased a globe pendant light for exterior use? I bought the FADO at IKEA a year or two ago. It was perfect for me needs. But the globe was recently broken and I need to get a new light for my entry way.

Thanks

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

FADO Globe Replacement

Postby AJ Fisher » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:04 am

I don't have any FADO hardware to share, but I had some suggestions on how you might find a replacement.

An ebay search revealed a 10" table-top version of the FADO. Perhaps the shade on this unit is interchangeable with the hanging version?

Progress Lighting (www.progresslighting.com) sells new versions of the "original" globe lamp. They are kind of hard to find on the website. I don't know if they just sell the glass component or not, but it may be compatible with the FADO. If nothing else, you could always replace the FADO with a Progress light. They look very similar, however the canopy is different I believe.

Here are the SKU's for the Progress Lighting website. You can search using these terms and it is much faster than browsing:

P4401-29 (8"globe)
P4402-29 (10" globe)
P4403-29 (12" globe)
P4406-29 (14" globe)

Most home stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) have Progress Lighting catalogs on hand and could order one for you.

I also find globe lamp shades at the thrift stores every now and then.

Good luck.

-AJ

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:58 am

I'm a bit surprised they are discontinued. But the website shows out of stock.
The table version is still available on-line. 25cm, same as the downlight. If that is what you have,
better grab a couple...
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... query=fado

They still have some at my local Ikea. The smaller one.
Many versions available on-line and have been posted here. Check the archives.
I considered the ikea one once, but the ceiling plate was clunky on a post and beam.
(the 30cm does not show the ceiling plate and it has been out of stock at the store. Now i
know why)

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Check this site:
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/

I recently replaced my exterior globe-on-a-post with one I found there - good prices and quick delivery.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 am

seems silly that they would discontinue something that seems like its a staple in modern homes. Why not just make it an always available item?
hmmmm.... :roll:

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:47 pm

It's still in stock at our Atlanta store. Maybe your store is just out of stock at the moment.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 pm

i happened to be at Ikea today and they still had it here in seattle so valery may be right.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:43 pm

I have 2 globe exterior lights. When we bought the house this summer both were missing the globes. We ordered 1 new globe and 1 whole new unit (old one was shorter and smaller globe than the other, wasn't original) from http://www.loveitlighting.com
The outside versions have aluminum rods so they don't swing around much when it is windy. I believe these are the progress lighting models.

And because I like pictures, here are mine. Looks much nicer than the bare bulbs we had for 4 months :roll:

Allison

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 am

looks nice , greenmod. Have you posted pics of your house before? Are your beams different colors or is that just the lighting effect?
Welcome to LL....

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:56 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:50 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”