What A Pity

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jesgord
Modern Master

What A Pity

Postby jesgord » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Scaffolding finally came down on Edward Durell Stones iconic 2 Columbus Circle. Took a few shots with the iPhone today.

Its gone from this

to this :(

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:31 pm

:(

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 am

Great work! Now if they could just snazz up that outmoded chrysler building... :x

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am

For what its worth, early reviews have not been very flattering:

From the Sun review linked below:

This is my favorite part "might I suggest to the new tenants that they needn’t feel any rush to take down the remaining tarps that cover Mr. Cloepfil’s building."

and "Nor did it help that the architect of the renovation, Brad Cloepfil, was dismissive of the building itself and of the concerns of many eminent architects and historians: “It’s far too weak of a piece of architecture for that site. That site deserves and demands more.â€￾ As for his critics, he referred to them in the spring 2005 issue of Bomb magazine as “a very small, exclusive and elitist group that opposes most Upper West Side development.â€￾

Given such talk, one would have expected something brilliant from Mr. Cloepfil or, at the very least, something boldly, memorably bad, a defiant stunt of landmark proportions. And yet the new façade is so mind-numbingly dull as to lack even the posture of ambition. In place of Huntington Hartford’s Venetian reverie we have a structure that would not look out of place as an annex to a suburban outpatient center.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Disgusting.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:14 pm

has anyone ever been in the old building? what is the light situation? it seems like it would be really dark... thoughts?

Nick32vic
Modern Fan

Postby Nick32vic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:35 pm

man....thats stupid.
-Nick

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Nick32vic
Modern Fan

Postby Nick32vic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:11 pm

-Nick

jakabedy
Modern Master

Re: What A Pity

Postby jakabedy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:36 pm

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Well, for whatever reason, that S (?) appears on three elevations -- doesn't it ? Whose intitial IS that. . .?

It seems that the principle motif of the new surface is. . .nothing -- beyond the obliteration of the old one.

SDR

EdJ
Modern Fan

hidden meanings

Postby EdJ » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:38 am

Well on at least one elevation the initials would appear to be HS.
For horses**t perhaps.

I've never particularly liked E.D. Stone, but this is just ridiculous.

Nick32vic
Modern Fan

Re: What A Pity

Postby Nick32vic » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:42 am

-Nick

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:44 am

Looking at this angle, my wife pointed out that she sees an upside down "F"

Maybe all the letters spell some sort of cryptic message.... :roll:

I can make out an I F S H......FISH :wink:

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

oh fine

Postby modfan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 pm

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 am

How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:41 am

I used to live two blocks away and this just makes me ill. Still, cannot say I am surprised as this is the place that tore down the old Penn Station.

Dispicable... :x

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Sadly, I walk past this building at least twice a day (often more) on my way to and from work. It greets me with a smack in the face each morning when I get off the bus.

Yesterday on my way home, I found a broken hole in the wall that separates the ground floor from the street. (It had been patched up this morning) I was able to stick my iphone through the hole and get the pic below.

Looks like the "lollipops" have stayed in place and may still be visible through glass when completed....or maybe there just preparing to clad them in tile in the shapes of random letters of the alphabet? :roll:

Either way, here is a sneak preview of the new 2 Columbus Circle lobby

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Wow -- thanks for getting that shot. Interesting. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:16 am

thanks for the pic.!

I drove past yesterday. Paused across the circle with the horses.

I prepared myself a while ago but i didn't expect to see any hint of
the past...very strange that it is still there.

Why put a fashionable teen dress on an elegant elder man? Never pretty.
and out of style next season...

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:21 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun May 04, 2008 10:40 am

Last edited by jesgord on Sun May 04, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 am

Stone's building was often called "The Lollipop Building" in reference to a mocking review by architecture critic Ada Louise Huxtable in which she called it a "die-cut Venetian palazzo on lollipops." However, three decades later she admitted that she got "a little lift, a sense of pleasure" when she walked past it.

Tribute to Ada Louise Huxtable
by Paul Goldberger
March 25, 1996...

...Somehow it seems wrong for this evening to consist entirely of our words, and not Ada Louise’s. I had a wonderful time over this weekend looking back at a lot of her writing, and realized I would probably have been wiser spending five minutes simply quoting her. The lines are as good as ever, decades later. So let me end with something wonderful she said about New York, the city that has always been, in truth, her real subject. Whatever she has said, from the warmest comments to the harshest, Ada Louise Huxtable’s love of New York, and her desperate desire to make it better, have never been in doubt. “When it is good, New York is very, very good,â€￾ she wrote in 1968. “Which is why New Yorkers put up with so much that is bad. When it is good, this is a city of fantastic strength, sophistication and beauty,â€￾ she has written. “It is like no other city in time or place.....[that fills us with] awe in the presence of massed, concentrated steel, stone, power and life.â€￾

I wonder what Ada thinks of this.

I have to agree with Jesgord.
A 'preservationist' should not applaud such changes.
I don't dis-like the party dress, i just can't bear the event.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Well. This is back in my commute this past week. 8th ave approach and
circle around. The lower scaffold is almost off. The street windows are
frosted halfway down the columns. An architectural embarrassment.
And very odd...I'm confused by this. (and the recent placement of Jesgords
post tacked onto this other post). Just made it hard to find, so i bumped it.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun May 11, 2008 6:08 pm

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”