Toilet Selection

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen
Modern Guru

Toilet Selection

Postby Stephen » Fri May 09, 2008 4:57 pm

I was wondering what experience folks have with various toilets. It looks like I will need to replace one. However, I'm also concerned with....ahem...."function" and not just aesthetics.

I *really* like the Toto Carlyle:

http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=121

It features the G-MAX "commercial-grade" flushing system and a 3" flush valve. Oh, and a concealed trapway. But it's also $450.

Does anyone own any of the Toto toilets? Are they worth it over some of the more pedestrian Kohler offerings? The other option is something like the Kohler Santa Rosa. Which is almost $200 less -- but doesn't have the concealed trapway.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Fri May 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Ask any plumber, and Toto will be their answer. That Carlyle is only $387. at Pacific Sales. I'm going to use either that one or a similar one from the same line because of the way it mounts. Very cool if you have ever dealt with installing toilets. An ABS mount gets attached to the toilet flange and also the floor. The toilet itself slips onto a tube that sticks up with O rings on it. The bolts are then attached to the toilet, and completely covered. The thing is a snap to clean. Another advantage is that it can be removed easily for replacing the floor or even painting. No special skills required. My main reason for using this type (besides recommendations) is because that floor mount comes in three sizes depending on how far out the floor flange is from the wall. 12" is standard (that's to the center line of the existing toilet's bolts) Some old houses have 10" and one of my baths was set wrong at 14". The 12" comes with the toilet, the 10" or 14" costs about $50. extra. A couple of inches in a Cliff May bath is worth that to me.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey Stephen,

I have two Kohler low volume toilets in my house that replaced the original black and pink by the previous owner. They're low-profile single cast (tank is integrated), 1.6 gallons and look great (one is black and the other white). Kohler recently began manufacturing these again as "San Raphael" - here's a link: http://www.nextag.com/kohler-raphael-sa ... earch-html

Another great looking toilet is the Phillipe Stark "Duravit" line but it's a lot more money: http://www.trendir.com/archives/000068.html
I've a friend with two installed in here 50's MCM and they look awesome (but it's dependent on the decor and finishing - it's perhaps a bit to "ultra" for many).

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 pm

we have a Glacier Bay (HD) one piece that is lower and more streamline looking like some of the higher end ones. we bought for our previous house and were happy with the ease of cleaning and never gave us any trouble so we bought another when we moved to our current home.
its like 230 dollars or something. very reasonable.
we have 2 kids and 2 adults and no complaints!

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Postby MikeLindsey » Fri May 09, 2008 9:24 pm

MY last plumber recommended Toto as well. He said he never had to repair them. :d:

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat May 10, 2008 2:40 am

Have a look at your local architectural salvage store. Nothing beats a vintage original...if you're worried about the water usage you can always puts some bricks in the tank (I was going to also suggest just flushing every other time but didn't know if you'd think it was funny :) )

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 10, 2008 11:38 am

I rebuilt the turquoise Crane that is in my master bath. I used a silent type of valve like the Totos have in them and used a flapper with the little foam ball that regulates how fast it drops. I think it's in the 1.5 range with a full flush. And if you want, you can hold the lever down a little longer for more volume.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 10, 2008 12:41 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Original '63 American-Standard. I would guess they are quality...
Looks new. Though no water issues. I've never watered my lawn in
the two years here in NY...(it is green,the lawn), but i do flush every-other out of
habit.
Our seats are elongated, (it is in the change order from the 63 build)
And the color is a dead match, seat to base. So a good quality lou, if you look for
vintage.

My parents must have changed their seats a 1/2 dozen times. (i remember
an orange foam 'pincher' in the 70's)...now oak-ish.

All my original fixtures are kohler and still beauty. I really think if you do your homework,
some vintage fixtures are far superior for the money. Mine are kinda 'jetson' futuristic
and really well made.
I just looked at the shower fixtures and they are Crane. 45 years old and much more
modern than anything i have seen new.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm

I personally much prefer wall-mounted toilets - a lot easier to clean and they've been around since the 20s in residential architecture, so certainly period appropriate. In Europe, wall-mounted is much more common than here. We love it because it takes up a lot less space, too.

It may not a viable option if you're just replacing an existing toilet, however, because of the location of the sewer line and the tank built into the wall (unless you build out the back wall to cover the sewer line opening). Anyway, here's a shot of one of ours.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

dorisday
Modern Fan

Toto Aquia Dual-Flush Toilet

Postby dorisday » Mon May 19, 2008 11:15 am

One button to flush a little...two buttons to flush a lot.

Stylish AND kind to the environment. I have 3 and love them! All the flushing power you could ever want.

http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=803

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Re: Toto Aquia Dual-Flush Toilet

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm

we have the nexus and vouch for toto. they are a bit spendy, but since a toilet is a household fixture that you could say receives high traffic, we decided we were okay with putting some extra $ into it.
it's good. ...for now.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”