Need help locating a 3' slab exterior door in Beech

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Need help locating a 3' slab exterior door in Beech

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 pm

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:37 pm

You'll likely need to have one made. Send a good-quality door to the nearest veneering shop (look up "custom plywood") and they'll put whatever you want on either face. They may advise doing both sides at once to maintain flatness; if not ask them to guarantee the result. I don't advise doing this job yourself.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:05 am

while we're on the subject, mdh is going to make us a front door this summer. We are going to pick up a solid slab at our local reuse building supply shop and he's going to cut out and build what we want.(which is very similar to a crestview) he's practicing first on our laundry room door so when he gets that done ill post it.
the laundry one will look similar to this design, he's already got the hole cut out
anyone else make their own?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:20 am

I'd be nervous about the performance of a slab door made like a butcher-block: simply glued up from a single thickness of lumber. This is because any such slab is subject to warping when subjected to very different exposure to the elements (temperature and humidity) on its two faces. (Warping occurs when the fibers on one face expand when heated, or -- especially -- when they absorb moisture; that side grows and forces the panel into a curve.) An indoor application minimizes these differences, while a front door is usually heated, cooled and/or wetted on the outside -- expecially if it faces south -- while treated to a more or less constant temperature and humidity on the inside. (These effects are almost as pronounced with finished surfaces as with raw ones.)

This is why a wood solid-core slab door is made up of a lumber core with several layers of cross-banding on each face. Successful solid-lumber (unbanded) doors (think Frankenstein's castle or a log cabin) typically have heavy cross-members on one face, including a diagonal in the case of unglued planks.

SDR

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:17 pm

I've seen some commercial doors made with better materials - they're usually fitted to metal frames, are thicker than what's typical and are hung with four hinges - I'm inquiring with suppliers now. I'm also investigating custom veneering.

-- John

Philip K. Dick

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully you'll be able to hang the door in your existing opening. . .?

SDR

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:53 pm

A solid core slab exterior door with an inside made of blocks of wood instead
of particle board is called "stave core". You can Google "stave core doors"
Here's one hit, a company that offers european Beech as a face option:

http://marshfielddoorsystems.com/Signat ... eCore.html

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 pm

The beech they show is plain-sliced veneer. To get the little flecks instead of a large grain pattern, you'd request quarter-sawn veneer, I believe.

SDR

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Yes I noticed. Not the sort of beech of Ikea flat pack furniture.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Right. All wood looks very different depending on how it is cut from the log. In this regard veneer is no different from boards -- with the exception of rotary-cut veneer, which is peeled from the log as if it were a (very big) window shade. CDX fir plywood is rotary-cut; you see a wild and repeating grain pattern.

SDR

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:17 pm

There are several local distributors - one I've bought Schlage hardware from in the past, John Oatley Hardware. I wasn't aware that they did actual doors. I'll give them a call early next week (I don't believe they're open on weekends). They don't show rift-sawn beech (I believe it's the rift sawn and not the quarter sawn that gets the flecks but it could be that they have similar characteristics).

-- John

Philip K. Dick

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Sounds good. Best of luck, and let us know how you make out. That pretty house deserves the best !

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”