Help with table ideas for Bertoia side chairs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

markjudep
Modern Master

Help with table ideas for Bertoia side chairs

Postby markjudep » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Thinking about Bertoia side chairs in white for my back deck, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good table. The Knoll paperclip table only comes in black and chrome. I'm in Connecticut and the back deck where the table will be is uncovered. Any ideas? The cheaper the better as the chairs will be mucho. Thanks.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 pm

If money were not a concern, I'd go with the classic Richard Schultz outdoor table

Less expensive and nice with the Bertoia's Ikea ÄPPLARÖ

or maybe an Aluminum Group table with a laminate top....I've seen them used outdoors and you can pick them up cheap on Ebay

Lastly, there are some nice old Salterini options available if you get lucky

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks mucho. If vintage fails us, we're going with a basic Pix Cafe table from DWR. I want that Richard Shultz table.

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 pm

This site is always a wonderful wealth of information. I have a Salterini lounger with a detachable leg rest that I've never known anything about. I'm totally stoked to know who made it !! Thanks!

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:34 pm

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:48 pm

I just picked up two Salterini chairs that match my lounger for $5 apiece. I tried searching to no avail. Can anyone direct me to a thread about painting or restoring outdoor furniture?

Thanks!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:59 am

I'm about to test this new product.
Just starting the research so can't help yet.
Thinking a primer/rust converter first.? (for DIY finish)

OVERVIEW:
New Rust-Oleum Universal is specifically formulated to work on diverse surfaces including wood, plastic, metal, wood, concrete and even vinyl. The Rust-Oleum Universal advanced spray system can spray from any angle — even upside down.

I would think powder coating the best option.
Powder coating is a type of dry coating, which is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin." The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as "white goods", aluminium extrusions, and automobile and motorcycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.

Powder coatings emit zero or near zero volatile organic compounds (VOC).
Powder coatings can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
Powder coating overspray can be recycled and thus it is possible to achieve nearly 100% use of the coating.
Powder coating production lines produce less hazardous waste than conventional liquid coatings.
Capital equipment and operating costs for a powder line are generally less than for conventional liquid lines.
Powder coated items generally have fewer appearance differences between horizontally coated surfaces and vertically coated surfaces than liquid coated items.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:27 am

scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”