Advice on digging out buried pool?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby T.O. MidMod » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:45 am

So we've been in our house for almost three years and enjoying every minute of it (check out the houseblog http://atomicplayhouse.blogspot.com)
HOWEVER, we are haunted by the fact that theres a buried swimming pool in our backyard and now that it's getting to be nice and summery out there, we can't get it out of our minds! Our neighbors have confirmed that the previous owner did have an inground pool that she filled in two years before selling the house. We have no idea if it was a concrete pool or just a wood frame with liner and we only have a rough idea as to where it was located in the backyard. One neighber suspects that it was concrete AND that they did not break down the sides to fill it in, although we have no confirmation on this.
Has anyone out there ever dug out a buried pool, and if so, how did you go about finding out exactly where the pool was located? Also did you get someone else to do the digging, and was it expensive?
Any experience or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Found this - hope it helps

Postby ksjoyner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 am

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Postby AJ Fisher » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

can't help with the pool issues much, but your house is BOSS

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:08 pm

TO:

Can't help much with the pool issues. I am fascinated, though with some of the home-made pools in old mags like Popular Mechanics. Just dig a hole and start laying in bricks. They can't even make it look good in the original pictures. too scary.

Say- I LURVE your house. You are doing a great job with original details. I feel you on the details issue. Sometimes I get on Slim to tackle the bigger projects like storage walls, when a little project that gets DONE has impact. You seem to really like the real everyday stuff as we do. I'm not one for high-end repro, but I like snapping up the real thing.

And I saw one of those Imagination houses on Ebay recently. Had I known they were so desirable, I might have upped my bids and won it. darn!
I did get some really swell larger furniture ( a pink and aqua kitchen set) scaled for barbie sized dolls that moves me plenty.

Good luck on the pool, and keep up the good work...
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am

definitely try to track down the owner and see what you can find out.
also, older neighbors might have photos from a backyard party from years ago.

i think if it was our home, we would be just crazy enough to just get out a shovel and start digging.

learn about how pools are constructed and it won't seem so overwhelming to you. we had a pool built in our home 3 years ago... also i am simplifying a wee bit - they dig a hole, put in some rebar and polish it off with concrete, plaster and tile. so the pool part might not be so hard to excavate if it's there and relatively intact.
i would be more concerned about where the equipment was and how that tied into it... and how you would tie new equipment into it.

i have never ever "got" why ANYONE would fill in a pool all the way - at least turn it into a shallow wading pool or something?

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Since the pool has already been filled in, maybe you could build one of these

:D

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:14 pm

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 pm

lasquirrel
Modern Master

pool

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:49 pm

we dug out a buried pool it is just as expensive as putting in a new one. I will PM you tomorrow and let you know what we went through - we were lucky enough to know exactly where it was but not if they had jackhammered the bottom (which they did) or how deep it was. I'd be surprised if they just filled it in w/ dirt most people know the bottoms need to have holes punched in them.
Sheryl

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 pm

squirrel - please share here, too - i am keenly interested in this process and i bet a few others might be, too.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 pm

sorry it took so long to reply I've been enjoying our pool!! :wink: :cheers:

Seriously though, we got 3 different quotes - 2 of which were close to the same and 1 which was about 1/2 the cost. We were concerned why one was so cheap ($35K and the other two around 70K). Well, even though the "cheap" guy came with a great recommendation we searched his license and liability and found out he had NEITHER. Now, this may not concern some people however knowing that electricity and water don't mix we obviously went with the more expensive people and are VERY VERY happy.

They dug out our pool and demod (sp?) the entire backyard as all the concrete surrounding the pool slanted toward the house. There was nothing useable after digging out the pool, pipes were corroded and the plaster/gunite had all been destroyed. We looked at this as an opportunity to build the pool of our dreams. The only thing that remained original was the shape of the pool as we felt it was true to our CM house. We added a jacuzzi and sprung for the extra jets (well worth it). We figured that we'd blow the bank on the pool since we knew we'd use it a lot. We did salt water which is GREAAT GREAT GREAT!!! The ONLY regret is that we did NOT add a solar heater, we thought we'd do that later when we redid the roof but now were pregnant and any "extras" are out the door! We were going to do a grey bottom but we saw a few and it looked dirty to us. We also were thinking of a rock bottom but after swimming in a few we thought a plaster bottom would be softer - personal preference comes into play a lot. We did a reef step where you can put an umbrella and lounge chairs. We made the deepest end 5 1/2 feet which is great for heating the pool (cheaper) and for playing volleyball and basketball - which we do a lot of. My biggest recommendation is that you RESEARCH, go into pools that you think you like and talk to people who have pools and check out the credentials of your contractor.

I attached photos hopefully you can open - they're not the most recent will send those later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23487163@N08/2678368535
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23487163@N08/2678368543
Sheryl

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”