Need help with choosing the right white for interior walls

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kraftdee
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need help with choosing the right white for interior walls

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:22 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:34 pm

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:45 pm

This is so helpful and it especially helps to see your houses on your blogs that look very much like mine (of course, after it gets painted)...we've got old wallpaper in the dining and kitchen.

redneckmodern can you point to the room on your blog that has the behr white color you describe.

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:51 pm

ONe more thing, redneckmodern. Are you kitchen cabs painted? IF so, what color are they.
Also, do you have any accent walls or are they all white?

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Boxoutbm,
I looked at the photos of your house on the blog and it seems that the light is picking up soft pink hue... is that the light fixture, flooring or furniture, or camera, that causes that? It doesn't look sterile at all. It's really nice.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

the silver drop is in the "office" but it will be next to impossible to represent the slight shade difference in a photo... it's slight. head to HD to look at some swatches...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm

I went blatantly warm. It's a Dunn Edwards color called "Oatmeal Cookie"
But it's really like Navajo White only yellowish instead of greenish. It looks great with all the aged birch paneling and cabinetry. Floors are black VCT.
I am kind of sick of plain white. I have a friend who is an artist and would never paint anything plain white. Even exterior trim on a Colonial house. It has been a godsend in my life to have a true colorist at hand. Plain white makes me think of ghetto apts. Especially in latex enamel. Which brings me to my next rant...
Please paint the walls flat. Not eggshell, not low luster. Do not take design advise from a paint store employee. Why so many folks are painting their walls so they glint is beyond me. Decidedly not MCM.
I did however go out of my way to paint the trim (as limited as it is in MCM) in actual oil based enamel. Very hard to even get in California these days. Mine is listed as a commercial indoor fire resistant enamel.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:46 pm

while i am maybe not quite as insistent as egads on this, white walls don't do a whole lot for me. i looked at the pics of your houses though and they do look really nice and when i see white walls in design mags they always look really good but whenever i have painted a white wall I feel like everything just falls away in the room.
I like white sheets, white cabinets, white towels.... just can't seem to do the white wall thing. PO's painted everything an awful cream color. cream walls, cream exterior, cream ceilings. . ug. we are slowly ridding the house of it.
I do prefer a white that has just a touch of the bluish gray in it.
a cold white i suppose. it is a nice opposite if you have lots of warm wood.

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57 am

We went with Dunn Edwards flat tintable white... it's just plain white. I can see how it would be overwhelming in a more typical drywalled box of a home. I think it works well in ours though. All our posts and beams are (or are going to be) Dunn Edwards Weathered Brown. Add that to all the windows with color coming in from outside and the natural wood and concrete and the white walls act more as negative space... a place for art eventually. We did pick colors for the 2 small bedrooms though.

Just painted the master bedroom this week:

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:55 am

it looks good with your dark beams!

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Hello, travelteam.
I appreciate your picture. I'm prob going to go with the swiss coffee walls and white trim.
I noticed in your photo what looks like a wood door on the right side of the picture. Please tell me what that wood is? Is it a door? Is it hollow, solid? Did you get recently or refurbish? I have doors that look like that throughout my house but they need freshening up. An interior designer suggests that I do a walnut stain on them. I haven't looked at walnut to see if I like that but it sounds ok. A contractor wants to sand, clean with TSP and then put two coats of clear on them.
Any comments?

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:40 am

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:35 am

I've been looking for these pages I ripped out since this topic first appeared. I figured I would need the reference someday...hope it helps somebody.

Sorry about the size.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Ditto for Swiss Coffee. We used it throughout our house and love the warmth of it.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 pm

I can't thank you all enough. So so so so so so helpful.
Now I just need to ask a little more advice.
My friend told me to do white trim with the Swiss Coffee (ceiling baseboards, door frames, etc.
I'm thinking of BM White. Any comments about that choice?
A designer told me to paint the two living room walls Lenox Tan --kind of a medium brown. I wonder how it will effect the room? The room only has two walls. The other wall is window and the other a fireplace and the ocean view (in the distance) window. The LR has chocolate beams and lightly whitewashed (I'm not sure what it's called) paneled ceiling just like Chimay's house.
Any comments on doing these accent walls? Will it enhance the view? Will it be inviting and cozy?
She was very confident in her decision but I don't want to make a mistake. I painted a poster board and set it up in the area but I still don't know what to do. Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks!
[/img]

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:57 pm

You can't make a mistake, it's just paint. If you don't like it, you re-paint.

I'm a BM Linen White gal myself, but at this point I only have it in my closets with colors everywhere else that isn't paneled.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:59 pm

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:18 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:39 pm

gloss paint is great... in a colonial.

not in a mid-century home, though.

go with flat. anywhere that gets touched, eggshell.

one exception: bathrooms. as we know, midcentury bathrooms don't have the greatest air flow. do use gloss on walls and ceiling... anywhere mold and mildew is popular.

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:56 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”