Our new house!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tomb
Modern Master

Our new house!

Postby tomb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:40 am

Well, its finally official, we closed last Monday!
Say hello to our circa 1961 atomic ranch.

It may not be a post and beam California Eichler but for SW Michigan, its a pretty groovy place!

It needs a little help but overall, its liveable as is. most of the issues are cosmetic.
Its a 3 bed, 2.5 bath with a full basement. Wood floors throughout

Front door needs to go! Already got a simple can style light for next to it...
any suggestions for a replacement? (cant afford a crestview...)

Rear 3/4 view

The view from inside (*with guest stars Azaziah on the left and Zoolah on the right)

And finally, a look at the fireplace

Immediate plans are to finish moving our junk in, then put some color on the walls, then try to change that front door. Do a little landscaping, build a darkroom in the basement for the mrs. And just enjoy it.
Last edited by tomb on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood Honey
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Heywood Honey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:18 am

Great house and love your cats too

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:23 am

Cool, cool, cool ! Love the brick and stone. What is the other exterior cladding material ?

With that nice big front window, I wouldn't be afraid of a plain slab door, painted a nice color *on both sides* (for that quintessentially Modern indoor-outdoor theme). Then use that color to suggest other interior colors, at least within sight of the door. . .?

A slab door is the least expensive option, too !

If you like the idea of a bit of filtered view of the stoop (as now) then a full single-lite door, perhaps in frosted glass, would be a good alternative.

Glad to see you all here. Keep us informed, and congratulations on your fab new home.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:42 am

Nice, nice, nice...love the fireplace! Congratulations.

I think I'd go with a full single-lite door like SDR suggested.

Have fun with the move!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:47 am

It's surprisingly hard to find this door online. Here's a pic from the Andersen site. . .

Olive
Russet
Primrose
Acqua
Pumpkin. . .

SDR

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:11 am

Great place! The simplicity of the roofline is quite eye-catching. To me, it seems to evoke images of vintage commercial/utility structures (fire houses, gas stations) of that era and, as such, practically screams "efficiency." You'll definitely be able to do a lot with that.

The fireplace has a quite unusual pattern. It's almost Wrightian with a hint of traditional style thrown in. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but those brass-and-glass doors only draw the eyes away from the stonework.

That red chaise really pops out in your third photo. I think that speaks well toward how a bold-colored front door would make the front of your house stand out.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Our new house!

Postby AJ Fisher » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 am

my eye was drawn to the keystone above the fireplace hearth. that's a neat detail. i agree with previous mention of a dramatically-colored front door to set things off.

-AJ

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:45 am

I also vote for a single light french door. You can put a blind on it for privacy. You can use a film to frost it. Or, as one of my friends used to do, squeegee wet hand made paper from an art supply store on it. I have used dual pane single light french doors a lot. I used to get them at, are you ready? Home Depot! Lately Lowes has been the place. They are only about $180. Now you may have to order one depending on where you live and what you can find. Installing the door yourself will save big bucks. Here's my primer: I try to use the existing door set beside the new one as a template. You can get inexpensive router guides for the hinges. If you are not comfortable doing the lock & door handle, most locksmiths have a jig that cuts perfect holes. Here is my main advise that you can use even if you have the door done: once perfectly fitted, put the old ugly door back. Then, working on sawhorses, do all the priming, painting or other finishing on all sides (you must do the top and bottom!) Once it's completely done, and perhaps days later to make sure it's really dry and cured so the finish won't be fragile, install the new door.

And your new house is way cool. Don't feel bad that it is not a post and beam Eichler, those glass boxes don't have to sit out in the snow like yours does.

Slim and Gabby

Sweet house!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 am

Like others, that utilitarian look is waaay cool. And I echo, who would want THAT many windows in MI?

The fireplace is really cool- subtle and unique. I think color would work really well in nice splashes. Definitely echo others on the colored front door. Red/Orange, Aqua, Swimming Pool Green, etc. I sorta like the idea of red- goes with that firehouse vibe. Also would be more high-contrast in the winter snowy landscape.

Glad your kitties already have their domain.....

What are the baths and kitchen like? Any color there yet/still?
Seems there's potential for cohesive color?

Looks great!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Great looking place-has a nice feel about it. I debated the singlelite door vs. slab for quite some time. In your case, I think either decision will look good. The slab will, however, be the less expensive choice

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Looks great! I can see a little creative landscaping and some cool graphic rugs at work.

Where in Michigan are you? I'd lived in Ypsilanti for a long spell before moving to Atlanta.

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:52 pm

WOW! i feel so popular!
thanks for all the great comments! it is really nice to show it off to people that "get it"

We have been swinging toward a slab door, as i really like the idea of a punch of color. Its kindof tough to tell in the images, but the paint color is a greeny-grey, not quite olive, not quite grey. So I am thinking a deep orange, and maybe a few tigerlillies in the landscaping to tie it all together.

The Kitchen cupboards are all orginal varnished wood, with that beautiful aged honey tone, once i get that area cleaned up a lttle, i will post some pics of the kitchen Dining area (windows on the right) opens right up to the kitchen. Somebody installed a homedepot special ceiling fan in there, but yesterday we scored a SWEET danishmodern 3pcs light that will be AWESOME in there at the local habitat for humanity restore.

The main bath is the most cosmetically challenged.. .I really dont want to post images of it :)
Right now, it sports a powder yellow tub with a knotty pine upper surround, new white toilet and 70's gold/white faux marble vanity.
Plans there are to utilize the old tub, find a matching vintage toilet/sink and do new tile mosiac throughout to tie the yellows to the greens and browns in the majority of the house (trust me, ive seen it in my mind, and will look really cool)

The rest of the baths are pretty utilitarian. the half bath is hidden off the master, which im told is quite unique for a '61 and the other full is a recent addition in the basement. The basemnt is awhole 'nother project, finished but very plain and utilitarian. Plan to get the "showy" areas upstairs up to snuff first.

Thanks again for the kind words. I am working on creating a blog for this house and all the other great Modern design in the Portage/Kalamazoo area.

-tom

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 am

That fireplace is cool as well as the lamp between the chairs with the cats.

I was just up in Grand Rapids last weekend.

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 am

STLmodern...I hope you made it to the beach:)

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 am

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm

To give yourself privacy from the street without having to cover up those beautiful windows, you may want to consider frosted or textured glass screens to create a courtyard in front of the house. That's what I did on my place (see photo on my flickr site), and love it because it provides privacy while still letting the light in, and gives us a nice little garden courtyard for visual interest from inside the house.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Good idea, potentially. The variables include what is allowed as to setback from the street, what the neighboring properties look like, etc. If the neighborhood has some irregularity in "front yard" aesthetics this might fit well -- as opposed to a row of similar houses set an identical distance from the sidewalk, in which case your improvement might be the proverbial "sore thumb."

Another solution to the same problem would be screening planting, creating the suggested private garden without any "hardscape." It appears that you already have a bit of planting in the desired location. . .?

SDR

modernmonkey
Modern Fan

Postby modernmonkey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:11 pm

We too are in our first home and while it's not quite MCM it was built in 1960's. Right era wrong look. Our budget is next to nothing and I too have been debating a new front door. Tomb, I think our front doors are nearly identical (see link below). The glass detail inside is horrendous - no. I've been trying to figure out a way that I could cover it up with film as someone suggested or if I could pop our the glass and replace it with frosted glass. Has anyone ever tried it?
Good luck, Tomb. I'll look forward to updates. Love the floors and the big windows out front!

www.eugenemodernmonkey.blogspot.com

:cheers:

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:20 pm

we used the spray on frosted stuff in our last home on a door, it worked pretty good! i may use it again on our front door if we change it to a single lite.
comes in a spray paint can

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”