Our Modest Modern Makeover

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Broadmoor
Modern Fan

Our Modest Modern Makeover

Postby Broadmoor » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 pm

We inherited a 1968 Orange County, Ca. Likeler a couple of years ago and decided to keep it in the family. It's an atrium home which had belonged to my mother, the original owner. She liked the house exactly as it came from the builder, and maintained it in pristine, original condition for nearly 40 years. The furnishings were an eclectic assortment of things from different eras spanning the early 1940s through the late 1980s.
We reworked the house without having to use debt, by using the existing furnishings, keeping the house in its original configuration and sticking to off the shelf, affordable materials. Plants in the yards were salvaged and rearranged. The list of improvements was kept very short and we did most of the work ourselves -- paint, laminate flooring, planting.
So here's what we've got so far...

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:54 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Broadmoor
Modern Fan

Postby Broadmoor » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Stephen,
Thank you so much for the kind words. Also, I have YOU to thank for the fact that the front doors got restored as original! A couple of years ago, I wrote you in a panic because termites had completely sheared off the lower part of one of the doors, and contractors kept saying the only solution was a goofy-looking prefab door product which didn't look anything like what belonged there. You gave me the name of a true craftsman who came over and rebuilt the doors on site, exactly as original, and with weatherstripping + security features...and all for a reasonable price. It was the first project I had to deal with, and having a great outcome gave me the confidence to tackle the rest of the issues of the house. K.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Looks GREAT-real and homey

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Broadmoor-
Rock ON using actual period stuff! Looks so great, and feels like someone is actually home. Not to knock all the designer-y fun lots of folks seem to be having, but really honoring the period makes a difference.

If you are like us, the things in your home have real feeling and sentimental value that comes across in your presentation. It's FUN to have Mom's old stuff and breathe new life into it.

I'm guessing MANY a pretzel was artfully arranged on that great round coffee table. LOVE the bolsters on the orange bed. And also the real patina on the kitchen/bar. Can't fake that stuff.

And Hooray! for saving that door. Nothing else would ever have looked right.

Great job!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

classic form
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Fantastic photos, Kathy! Great work on the house; you've really made it shine. Love the surfboard by the fireplace; how much more "California" can you get? :wink:

By the way, I owe you a big THANK YOU for sending along the renderings for your neighborhood. I've been bogged down on my emails thanks to a nasty work schedule but I do very much appreciate your taking the time to send those along.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Broadmoor
Modern Fan

Postby Broadmoor » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:56 am

Much appreciation for the kind responses! This was a labor of love, and we're so thrilled to have a little mod house.
My mother got the Brown Jordan set to celebrate the close of escrow on the house in '68. The orange bolsters are the wide wale corduroy from the 70s, and were from her two twin bedspread sets. I couldn't find wide wale corduroy anywhere, so I just sewed the king bedspread in the picture from matching cotton. It reverses to a black and orange tapa print from a fabric warehouse. Actually, that's not even a real king bed, just the two twin beds pushed together.
The surfboard in the living room belongs to Son #1. He's a Navy officer, and Son #2 is a Jungle Cruise skipper at Disneyland. The kimono hanging in the dining room was my father's -- he was a Navy squadron commander stationed in Japan in WWII.
Having a surfboard in the family room goes to the first "rule" we made up -- the house was going to be a Guy's Place. We decided on the laminated flooring because it can take things like dog nails and beach sand. Plus, we were also able to do the entire house ourselves in the premium Pergo for under $4000. The kitchen counters will eventually be replaced, but with old style Formica which is inexpensive and wears like iron.
The main feature of guy-centric decorating is, of course, a really big TV. We bought a projector receiver at a deep discount right after the Super Bowl last year and hung it from the soffit above the bar. It shoots a 12 foot high def picture onto the opposite wall, which we left completely plain and painted on a screen using audio visual reflective paint. You can see the edge of the screen on the photo of the Naugahyde family room sofa, and the projector in the surf board shot. An extra large pizza fits perfectly onto that round oak table.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:59 am

That is an amazing house. I really like what you have done. Great Job

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am

Broadmoor
Modern Fan

Postby Broadmoor » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:11 am

Yes, the projector can be used during the day. It has a super bright setting, and when all the rattan blinds are down, it's definitely watchable. The room is naturally rather dark during the day. A neighbor suggested a large skylight, but the home theater idea was much less costly and a whole lot more fun.
It's hard to see from the pictures, but the painted on screen is situated on a wall which can't be used for much of anything. Placing furniture there would create a traffic obstacle and break up the visual space too much, I think.
If you look at this picture, to the left of the atrium slider you can see the gray screen. When it's not in use, a big clean block of neutral color on that wall just seems right for the space.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 pm

love the house.
love the surfboard, i want one in my living room now...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”