socal eichlers: a picture of every one...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redneckmodern
Modern Master

socal eichlers: a picture of every one...

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 pm

we were in LA this past weekend and decided to visit the eichler tracts down there... with a convertible and a 2GB chip in the camera, we decided we might as well grab a picture of each (as well as some up-close shots of stuff we found interesting: landscaping, etc.).

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:42 am

Great tour! Thanks.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:30 am

Excellent photo sets! I've thought about doing the same thing, at least for the Balboa Highlands area (which is a 5-minute drive from me). Thanks for saving me the trouble. :wink:

This one still practically makes me cry, though.

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:18 am

what struck us is that overall, from a curb-appeal standpoint, the tracts are much more tidy than those up here. the lawns are more well-kept, for the most part the houses are more intact (save a few that zeus or nero threw up on), etc... it was a nice drive and we got lots of landscaping ideas.

what bummed me out the most were the few that looked original on the outside, but had piles of cars, RV, boats, etc. out front. there was one in particular in BH that had loads of neat (unregistered/unplated/inoperable) old cars out front, but -- quite simply -- a public street and driveway are not appropriate storage places for piles of neat old cars. fortunately, our town prohibits storage of unregisterd or inoperable cars in public view, but we do have our share of RVs.

Perks

Postby Perks » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 am

I definitely know the house you're talking about. Those cars would be worth a bundle if properly restored. Unfortunately, neglect is sometimes the only way that architecture in L.A. is preserved; the only reason we have so many intact old theatres in downtown is because the whole area became worthless and undesirable.

Storing inoperable vehicles in public view is a code violation in L.A. as well, but I'm willing to wager it's one of the least enforced of the city's municipal codes.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:14 am

Great tour!
And no editing is much appreciated. Here it is. the good, bad and the ugly.

that's real life. And gee how ugly cars are these days. (a co-worker has a Pacer)
I'm amazed at so many houses painted 'It's a Boy' blue. And the variety of landscapes.
Love this photo...
I see a passion but just doesn't have the time.

:)

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:42 pm

"neglect is sometimes the only way that architecture in L.A. is preserved"

...great quote...not sure how it could be said better.

simplebot
Modern Fan

Postby simplebot » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Balboa Highlands is also now in Google street veiw so you can virtually drive through and take a look.

link:

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”