Modern Mod Baroque Hollywood Regency Style

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Modern Mod Baroque Hollywood Regency Style

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:46 pm

I am working on a restoration of a home that is screaming for a Hollywood Regency treatment. It's a 1962 Palmer and Krisel home that was totally trashed by the previous owners. We have been slowly undoing the damage done and are at the relatively clean slate point and the home just seems to want to lean that Hollywood Regency way...

I do have to say - this is one of my all time favorite style periods - that transition from art deco to modern with the Hollywood glamour thrown in... Dare i say it here? I love this style more than strict MidMod... Z Gallery used to lean this way with their products years ago - i don't know if they still do or not?

So i've been doing tons of research.
The Viceroy at Palm Springs is a big influence.
Kelly Wearstler calls the style Mod Baroque and i like that name alot...
Jonathan Adler kinda designs in that style as well...
There are lots of nouveau examples of the style - it's definitely been seeing a rebirth the last several years.

other designer names that came up in my searching include:
William Haines
Dorothy Draper

Here are some fun links to explore
http://www.kellywearstler.com
http://www.jonathanadler.com
http://www.williamhaines.com

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/hollywoo ... page3.html
http://www.insideavenue.com/hollywood.html

--------------------------------------------------------
right now, i am specifically looking for a inexpensive ceiling light fixture for a very small bathroom with 9 foot ceiling. if anyone has ideas - i'm all ears.
like to spend under $100 ikea had a really nice silve and crystal chandelier - but of course thay were all out of stock at all their stores and it's not even on their website :|
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Here's some background on the inventor of the Hollywood Regency style:

John Elgin Woolf (1908-1980), born in Georgia, received a Bachelor’s degree in architecture in 1929 from the Georgia Institute of Technology. Woolf deeply admired the Greek Revival mansions of the south and those theatrical forms stayed with him. He put architecture aside to pursue a dream of acting by moving to Hollywood where he auditioned for roles in “Gone with the Windâ€￾. He was unsuccessful finding roles, but was successful at networking with socialites such as actress Fanny Brice. This gave him an entrée into Hollywood Society where he obtained important commissions for Errol Flynn, Ira Gershwin, Cary Grant, Mae West, Greta Garbo, Rita Hayworth, George Cukor, John Wayne, Barbara Hutton, and David O. Selznic, to name a few.

Woolf became known for combining various styles – French, Greek Revival and Modernism – very theatrically to create a new style later named Hollywood Regency. In a sense Hollywood Regency was a backlash to Modernism. Paige Rense, editor of Architectural Digest commented, “In the 60’s and into the 70’s there was a fear of modern architecture. Their [John Woolf and Robert Koch Woolf] traditional twist was very reassuring.â€￾

Woolf met interior designer Robert Koch in the late 1940’s. They became partners, both business and domestic, with Woolf designing the architecture and Koch providing the decoration. They also provided for an unusual life and household. In the 1960’s Woolf and Koch separated but continued to work and live together. Then Koch met a Gene Oney who moved in. In 1971 Woolf was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. Woolf then adopted Koch and Oney, who changed their last names to Woolf.

The Woolf style was theatrical – bigger than life. Ornate Greek columns flanked tall double doors, the height of which would pierce the cornice. Some have reported that Woolf introduced the Mansard roof to California, but that is probably hyperbole as Wallace Neff had used that style in the 1920’s. Unfortunately, Woolf is perhaps best known for his desecration of Craig Ellwood’s Case Study House #17. Here Woolf took a fantastic glass and steel icon of modernism and added Doric columns and a Mansard roof. It would require a Kaufmann-like restoration to bring that work back to life.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:06 pm

thank you tony - i did run across woolf, too, but failed to mention him. do you know if there are any links to tribute sites about him?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:49 pm

I like a bit of Hollywood glam.

the house tends to speak for itself.
I have MCM, machine age Warren Mcarthur, original velvet walls in the
liv rm. And crushed velvet bucket swivel chairs in the master bdroom.
(with linen fabric walls with a floral pattern-original) It is crazy but unique.
And a bit of Lucite.
I just like clean ideas. Off the floor.
Hide cables. Have fun.
I did edit a bit when i moved but the mcm and the personal collections
came along. Eclectic but not a solo era. Or recreating an era in one swoop.
Less is more?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:58 pm

That reality show 'Tori and Dean in Hollywood' looks like they might do their new house in this style.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

There are some great front doors in this book from 1978.
Daydream Houses of Los Angeles (Paperback)
by Charles Jencks

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Also see this piece in the Los Angeles Times

So seduced, so smitten; Hollywood Regency brings to life a romantic legacy that's distinctly L.A.;

Barbara King. Los Angeles Times
Jun 12, 2003

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:22 pm

and these....

Class Act: William Haines Legendary Hollywood Decorator
by Peter Schifando
http://www.amazon.com/Class-Act-Legenda ... 6146/ll-20
In the Pink: Dorothy Draper--America's Most Fabulous Decorator
http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Dorothy-Drap ... 6189/ll-20

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

2 votes here for hollywood regency; aka "henrietta"

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:39 pm

Futura:

I've always LOVED hollywood regency. It's a shame to see some great vintage pieces get destroyed by the ill-informed "shabby chic" treatment. Around our casa, we haven't been able to include it, but refer to it lovingly as "henrietta". Some of the best examples of regency are in the old "Topper" TV show from the 50's. Not on Netflix, but downloads are out there. Wife of Staid banker Cosmo Topper (yes, that's our cat's name) goes 50's luxe with a slightly colonial versus grecian vibe in her digs. Her clothes ( and figure!) are an unusual example of sparky maturity for the period.

As for the dearth of regency style at Z Gallerie, it's days were always numbered. I managed a Z Gallerie for a few years and one of the merchandisers ( who had a great style) had a brief period of design when coupled with someone higher in the company. His stories of his family's all stainless kitchen in the 40's-50's were pretty funny, too. He is responsible for that Regency vibe, which never sold well companywide....it did at MY store. When that relationship ended, that was probably the last you'd see of regency at Z. Sigh.

Go for it. We'd love to see pix of the transformation!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Try to find a library that still has old issues of Architectural Digest and look through the very late fifties and the sixties and you will find it choc full of Hollywood Regency examples. AD was black and white still at that time.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Oh and Tommi Parzinger did a lot of furniture too!

See this NY shop website for examples.

http://www.palumbogallery.com/index.htm

Look here too

http://www.donzella.com

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:54 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:38 pm

:(

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:26 pm

why so sad joe?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”