Lautner Tour - Harpel, Tyler & Schwimmer Residences

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Lautner Tour - Harpel, Tyler & Schwimmer Residences

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Here is a collection of photos I took on the recent tour.
Tyler House

Harpel House

Schwimmer House

Malin House

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Tyler is a really nice house. I tend to like Lautner's smaller works best.

Tyler also had significant damage from the Northridge earthquake. Luckily the owner had excellent insurance! Not only was the house fixed up, but they put the owner up in the Chemosphere for a year!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Wow.

Thanks !

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Gee, and I thought I was the only one crazy enough to join a museum that is normally free anyway, at the patron level no less, and then got to pay $145. on top of that for a wild ride in a commuter bus. Anybody have anything on the Jacobsen & Harvey slated for August? (I have been to Silvertop) Should I really spend another $145.? Come on, talk me into it. The Tyler was a knockout. In case it's not clear from the photos, the corner, the prow, opens completely.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm

I just noticed that for the first time, in Josquin's excellent photos. I wonder if those big pieces of glass are on patio-door rollers, or something. (I guess you'd want some rubber bumpers for stopping them too !)

Lautner is too much. These houses are so far ahead of the run-of-the-mill modern residence that. . .it isn't funny.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm

Darn it, I did not have a digital camera with me, just my phone camera. So I did not go out of my way to take pictures. I seem to remember the glass was in a bottom rail with rollers. The top was just let into a groove made out of the house's abundant clear douglas fir. The glass was 1/2" thick and had a mitered corner. No bumper, no weather seal. Someone commented about rain while I was standing there. I figured if it was raining that hard, you could just get out some duck tape!

Josquin

Tyler House

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 pm

The Tyler house, as originally designed, had a balcony, with only a wood railing, just beyond the fireplace that was later enclosed. The house was designed as an equilateral triangle with three floor levels, living area, master bedroom and bath, kitchen and the children's bedroom & bath, climb up the slope. The sliding glass window on the balcony was added by the current owners as well as the sky lights. Where the piano is located were a built in couch, table and bookcase. The room that was off limits to the tour was a bed room for two children with a bath. All the built-ins were removed in the childrens room and the windows reconfigured. Lautner associates were involved in the current remodeling.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm

The plan note says "BALCONY -- wood floor, wood railing." There was a dumbwaiter adjacent to the chimney to bring mail from below; the manufacturer is noted with his address.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I got

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 am

To see the Harpel house on a tour like this, but it was still in the process of being renovated. Looks great now. NOTE TO TOUR STAFF: My only complaint is that I wish they had decided to not put it in pre constr. tour they were so fussy about folks wandering in the 'prohibited' spaces that were NOT well marked and NOT locked, their wasn't much to see then-Jeez if they don't want them wandering around DON"T put it on the tour, or at least CLEARLY mark the off limit areas and lock them.

Josquin

Tyler House 2

Postby Josquin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:16 am

SDR,
Thanks for the scan's from the Escher book. Look how open the views of the San Fernando Valley were in the 1950's. Here's a similar view of the Tyler house today.

The TV, kind of, ruins it for me.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your lens!
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Spreak Amelican, troop ! :D

Note adjustments to practically everything but the ceiling plane and the fireplace. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

pete1979
Modern Groupie

Postby pete1979 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:47 am

A Lautner house and a 250 GT Lusso! that guy is living my dream :(

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:21 am

He also lives there with a supermodel.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am

For comparison, a superficially-similar triangular plan by Wright. . .

The enclosed space is actually more linear than triangular; see dashed line defining roof shape.

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

thanks for posting

Postby modernvintage » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Josquin, thanks for posting these great photos. I had a hard time paying so much for the tour but kick myself every time i think about it. I had an opportunity a few years ago to go to Lautner's Elrod house through the Palm Springs Museum for $150 and didn't go. I was staying the Lautner's Desert Hot Springs Hotel that weekend. He's one of my favorites.

DW

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”