West Coast Modern home tour - photos

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scandimod
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

West Coast Modern home tour - photos

Postby scandimod » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Vancouver seems to be making headway in recognizing its modernist legacy. Here are photos from a modern home tour I went on last month:

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/view ... page/1/15/

The last house in the series is amazing. Here is a photo from 1964, when it won Canada's top architectural award:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_UvTitGq-8pc/SGE ... orrest.jpg

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:12 am

Wow!

Thank you for sharing these....Vancouver it is a really beautiful city and now I have one more reason to to love it.

These are fantastic homes. Are there more like these?

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:43 pm

smod, glad you like the pictures. Yes I believe there are many more houses like this in Vancouver, but a renewed appreciation for early west coast modern architecture, in the form of public events like these house tours, seems to have come about only relatively recently (and is preaching mainly to the coverted). A passage from a book I recently read called "Dream City: Vancouver and the Global Imagination" (Lance Berelowitz, 2005) has this to say:

"A curious amnesia surrounds the public's perception of Vancouver's modernist buildings; the unsung remnants of the city's heroic modern era are not generally considered to have "traditional" historic value. Vancouver society has not yet fully come to view modern architecture as a legitimate element of its built heritage ... perhaps the modern era is perceived as too recent ... the best modern buildings in Vancouver represent the cutting edge of architectural thinking of their time."

Excuse me if I brag a little (we Canadians have a reputation for being modest) but Vancouver IS a beautiful city in a fantastic physical setting; what puts off most people is the amount of rain we get as well as the high price of housing. I think it has been rated the world's most liveable city by the Economist for 6 years straight. You will be hearing a lot more about Vancouver in 18 months during the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”