Hi all, Looking for a real source for house plans

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Ricola
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ricola » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Rick Ollah

Who say's Aliens only abduct people.

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:48 pm

FYI all: I have been in contact with the cheif designer at houseplans.com. After staring for hours at the Butterfly roof design posted by Johnnyapollo (thanks for the new obsession. :roll: ) and discussing the whole design idea with my wife, We decided we are moving forward with that design. houseplans.com has been very helpful. We have a meeting with the septic tank designer friday. This is the first step. We need to address septic placement first.

We seem to be migrating tword the butterfly as it is with the exception of the addition of a master bedroom and attached garage. My wife isn't convinced the two bedrooms in the plan need a lake view as I drew in my floor plan.

This is still a couple years down the road. But we would like to be able to get to the point where we have the plans in hand and the approval to start the build. That's all for your input and stay tuned! :cheers:

Heres a sketch I've been doodling on. Things will likely change.

Last edited by Ricola on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Ollah

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:03 pm

I hope there won't be any legal surprises when it comes to having your purchased plans plans approved by the local building authority. I found some of the information and experiences in this thread http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/v ... 1239#21239 unsettling.

SDR

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, that is something to consider. However, I was told the plans would come with an engineers stamp. I will read the link you posted thanks.

Edit: I just gave the link a speed read. I understand I will need an engineer stamp for the footings. I also may need to have core soil samples taken to test for soil compaction considering this is a lake lot and may have some special requirements.

I already discussed this with a local engineering firm. I work with forensic engineers as an adjuster and know several. The cheif designer at houseplans assurred me they could either have the plans stamped or work with my local engineer and soil expert.

Baby steps.
Last edited by Ricola on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Ollah

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Sounds good. I have no personal experience with this process.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:34 pm

FYI: I had a meeting with the licensed septic tank planner last Friday. We need to lock down the location and type of septic system we will be able to use. I guess their changing some laws next year that will restrict the type of installation we will be allowed to have installed. Were hoping the soil tests ok for a leach field. The cost was estimated at 7-11 K. If the soil is not good we will need to go with a mound system. 14-16 K....

We will need to have a pipe pushed under a creek. The septic will be about 200 ft from our building site.
Rick Ollah

atomsmasher
Modern Groupie

Postby atomsmasher » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:41 am

I have several of the books shown on the flickr site. Sunset books had many books on the matter, I seem to have the vacation homes and it contain plans on lake homes. Good luck on the project. I would be glad to scan them for you onto a disc if you would like.

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:14 pm

Rick Ollah

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi everyone. Just an update. I told you we met with a septic guy last fall. Well I thought he was working on getting us info and testing the ground but he forgot about us.... So, the snow came and the ground froze. Now we are waiting for the thaw. I'm going to contact another guy I know that does this work also. Sheezzeee. Some people you can't event bribe with money.

On a lighter note, The dozer guys finished clearing the lot up to the creek just before the snow came. Like two days before the snow came. My wife and I ran up there an dumped about 50 lbs of grass seed on the very rough and rock strewn ground. It had been raining and sleeting. AS you can see the ground is very wet and muddy.

Here is a photo of the lot from November.

So were still taking baby steps here. Were still planning the Butterfly. We'll keep ya posted!
Rick Ollah

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

We have more fill coming this week. We have been busy placing rock along the creek. The driveway will run along the creek. Here's me with my Bobcat.

Here's the start of the creek.

We took a trip to So Cal in our Porsche with some of our friends. Here's a couple photos we took along the way on Route 66.

Rick Ollah

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 am

We came out to attend the WCR 09. We started in Ervine and ended up in Lancaster at the Street of Willow. About 40 914's.

The car closest in the photo is my friend John's car. He has a 6. I built my car. I have a 928 V8!

We call this "The Money Shot" Check the reflection in the paint.

Rick Ollah

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 am

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 am

Rick Ollah

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:01 am

Not necessarily usable plans....but interesting to look through

Visit my Blog

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am

That's a great link!
Rick Ollah

modern classic
Modern Groupie

Postby modern classic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 am

This floor plan seems to be close to what you are looking for.

Check out the Flexahouse at houseplans.com

I grabbed this plan from their site. (They shouldn't mind traffic being directed their way. But if they, or the moderator here, has a problem with it I'll take it down.)

Here is a direct link:
http://www.houseplans.com/flexahouse_cu ... election=3

It's a little longer than you wanted, but still nicely arranged. The garage doors can be re-oriented and windows added to face the lake.

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:53 am

That's a nice link. Thanks.
Rick Ollah

Ricola
Modern Fan

Postby Ricola » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:13 am

Well, another year passed by without really starting to build our new generation Mod pad, but it was a productive year. Here are a couple new photos of the work we had done this fall. We were able to secure a permit and have the shoreline done with rip wrap. (sp) The water is very low this time of year so eventually the water will be close to the top of the rocks. It looks a little scrappy now but we will rake and seed it in the spring. The equipment make quite the mess. We are very happy with the work we were able to do this year. The housing market is starting to tweek a little around here so maybe we will think about selling our Victorian this summer or fall and get started on the new digs!

Rick Ollah

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”