Finished Painting Our House

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Izzy
Modern Master

Finished Painting Our House

Postby Izzy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 am

We are just about done with our house painting. It took me the better part of the summer to finish. Aside from the front door we are very happy with it. We'll be replacing it with something more appropriate pretty soon. Thoughts on that? perhaps a single lite with frosted or?

Here is a shot of it before:
Last edited by Izzy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Yummy. I like it !

And is that a bright green sumach of some sort on the way to the front door ?

Tell all !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:45 pm

That looks great! I bet you have the only orange fanlight door around :P You have the same house lights as us.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 am

ahhh, the fan door.... i think everyother house in our neighborhood has one. There must have been a craze at the local door store sometime back in the 80s. that and the big heavy, "hits you in the a**" on the way out storm door.
atleast the orange makes it different for now.
Thanks for the kind words
Feedback on the front door replacement?
We need light in the house so i don't think the plain brigt door will work for us

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:43 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:57 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

no room for a sidelite. :(
but we are leaning towards the single lite with frosted. I do like some of the crestview offerings (although expensive) but i would really like tip the scales a little on the more contemporary side. The house and our neighborhood could use some more comtemp. elements. (lots of rehashed granny ranches, wishing wells, wrought iron gates, vinyl siding, chicken coops turned "storage", and yes, fanlight doors and the doors with an oval shaped glass with brass jewelry and fancy etched glass, should i keep going?) (There is a few homes with original "crestview-looking" doors that you know the people living there would love to replace with one of the above, mdh keeps saying we should take our door to them and try to make a trade)

The door i had originally planned for the front door mdh stuck on his garage side door, a recycled job from his bosses remodel. Im sure we can find another

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 am

actually there may be barely enough room for a sidelight, albeit a small one. (albeit?) :-k

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

looks great!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 am

Izzy:
Nice color choices. Yep, that fanlight door is ubiquitous everywhere. We keep wondering if there is ANY kind of home that actually benefits with one.

You seem pretty enterprising as a thrifter....do you have a habitat for humanity/reuse store in your area? We are always finding super cool doors at the one near us. We got all hopped up the other day on a colored pebble glass one that would be nifty on the side garage door. Now if I can just remember to get back there with the measurements.....

Keep us posted on the search!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 am

Stock french doors at places like Home Depot and Lowes have dual pane glass. In both the single light and multi-light versions. Special ordering one with frosted or even better ribbed glass is possible. I think for budget reasons one could just use the clear one and apply a film to obscure. You can even get ones with blinds between the glass for adjust-ability. To make a simple french door modern yet fit better with the age of the house, a three or five light might work. Here is a link:

http://www.tmcobb.com/products/frenchDoors.htm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:13 pm

thanks slim and/or gabby. We defenitely hit the reuse building store OFTEN. Thats exactly where we plan on going first.
Egads: I like where youre going with the 5 lite door. I wonder how much and where to get one?
thanks for the comments too, I'm always worried i'll just hear crickets chirping when i post a topic... :oops:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Any lumber yard could order a TM Cobb door. They have been making them for at least 60 years. Also, do look for some old threads around here about front doors. I have done a few in my day. Here is my main advise: Fit the new door and them put the old one back. Then take your time putting finish on the new one. Coating the bottom is very important!

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Izzy, if you decide you want to buy a used one, let me know what you are ISO style wise. I go to Habitat once a week or so to cruise lighting and we have a building salvage store with a vast door selection, I can keep my eye out for you.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Lotsa good ideas there.

Or, "mdh keeps saying we should take our door to [our neighbors] and try to make a trade. "

Men ! Occasionally we DO have good ideas. . .

SDR

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 pm

THanks Greenmod! ill let you know if we can't find anything at ReUse here in Seattle. They usually have what we want but ya never know...

I will post a pic after we get the new door on, (if i have my way it will be sooner rather than later)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”