New flooring for bathroom

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Dan O.
Modern Master

New flooring for bathroom

Postby Dan O. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:51 pm

My building owner has finally succumbed to pressure and the carpet in my apartment is getting replaced, at the same time I'm faced with the "threat" of new bathroom flooring in preparation for the next building inspection. My bet is the new flooring the owner has in mind will be cheap vinyl sheeting (= ugly), so I'm planing on installing VCT before they get to it. It's your typical mid-fifties bathroom with pale pink tub surround/vanity top tilework; ideas I have for the flooring are alternating black and white stripes running the width of the room (NOT checkerboard) or some sort of oceanic green, would love to hear some feedback/other ideas.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Check out the local Habitat for Humanity restore. I think the Garden Grove one had a bunch of boxes of VCT. Even new it's only about 65 cents a tile. Here's my design advise, less is more. Baths are small. Keep it simple. Remember, all interior design is based on focal points. Do you wish to focus on the floor?

Flovern
Modern Groupie

Postby Flovern » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Don't know if this will help you with pattern ideas, but here's a pic of the original black and white flooring in my den.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 pm

We bought plain white 1 inch square tiles from the local HD or Lowes, cant remember. Simple, simple look and installation was pretty easy (they come on 12" sheets. It feels great on the feet too.
Smaller tile looks good in a small bathroom too, imho.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Stopped by Linoleum City on the way home and went with three graduated shades of gray VCT (light, med, dark); $0.89 a pop. I post a pic when it's done.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 pm

VCT is extremely cheap. Be sure to seal it with at least 4 coats of wax. I have Armstrong Excelon Imperial Texture Classic black in entire house. it's great. lay them down basket weave style. If your bathroom is small like mine, just go with one color. Accent with a bath rug.

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... m_id=47164

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”