Oh my, they're green

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Oh my, they're green

Postby modernvintage » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:43 pm

I have been planning on stripping the paint off the clerestory windows since we bought our house. The wife didn't agree. She felt it would be too hot with direct sunlight in the evening. I eventually did strip them this weekend. I was concerned about the color of the glass. our neighbor two doors down has amber glass. I tested a small area outside and found clear bubbled glass. I didn't realize that there was separate glass on the inside. When we stripped the inside it was green.... The wife isn't happy.

I'm replacing the inside glass with clear glass. If anyone is interested in the green glass let me know.

Here are the clerestory windows without the green glass.

There was a strange box hanging in the shower. You can see it in the upper photo behind the lamp in the center of the smaller window. It appears to be original construction and think it may have been an extension of a closet which was taken out to add a bath. Anyway, we are thinking of putting glass between the closet and bath to keep the light coming into the bath.

Last edited by modernvintage on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Well, it'll be great to have the light coming in now, won't it ? The whole house will come alive in a new way, I'd think. Congratulations !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:08 am

SDR, the light is awesome in the hallway; It really changes the space. I knew it would and I wanted it to be as Paul Tay originally designed it. We've done a ton of work on the house; we've replaced doors, removed the laminate floor and and put down cork, painted, remodeled the kitchen, built a new fence, put an copper ionization filter on the pool.....

we're getting ready to put in a passive solar hot water heater and new pump for the pool and remodel the bathrooms

DW

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:00 am

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:58 am

I like green as much as anyone but its a hall/closet so everything in the closet is green, the walls are green, your reflection is green, your hair is green, LOL.

I'll post more photos when the inside glass is done.

DW

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:16 pm

From what I hear, its not easy being green :wink:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:22 pm

i LOVE the green

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:42 pm

well the puns for "green" could go on and on...
Its good to know people in the fifties were using green building materials and not just asbestos and lead....
8-)

Thanks! I'll be here all week! :clap:
Polite and Cordial

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:51 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:54 am

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:47 pm

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:55 pm

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh ok. Well I did like the green, but seeing your pictures after you removed the green....I have to agree that it looks better without.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”