IKE b***h slaps my neighborhood - pics

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

txmod
Modern Master

IKE b***h slaps my neighborhood - pics

Postby txmod » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 pm

In many ways we are lucky. Very, very few people have any structural damage, and those that did it is limited to what was caused by falling trees, (like that isn't bad enough). The loss to the trees is really, really bad though. Glenbrook is on the southeast side, only about 35 minutes northwest of Galveston, between that and downtown Houston.

Before & Afters:

This one has a low sitting garage and is one of the very, very few to have any flooding issues, which seem to be limited to the under-house garage

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm so sorry to see the damage to those homes. I have family in Houston, but they seemed to have weathered the storm well.

I actually have a photo of this home in my always growing collection of homes I think are great...

Hope things are repairable for everyone down there.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:59 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:37 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Sad

Postby modfan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 am

But just as any disaster one eventually recovers, you hardly see any damaged bldgs. now from the Northridge earthquake-in fact the apt. bldg. that was supposedly at the center of the quake on Reseda Bl. is now completely rebuilt.
So how did the Memorial Bend neighborhood fare, isn't that on the northwest side of town-I was just there earlier this summer.

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:11 pm

So sorry to see so many nice trees destroyed - nature is a cruel mistress.
Hope you don't mind a little levity, but at first I thought your header read "IKEA b***h slaps my neighborhood"!

hala bullhiki
Modern Groupie

Postby hala bullhiki » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 pm

wow, those pics send chills up my spine. hopefully all the owners are ok, and the houses are restored back to the beautiful "before" pics, however allthose trees lost are going to make the landscape of the neighborhood change dramatically. i have relatives from galveston. they have been down in san antonio since gustauv. good luck , and my thoughts are with you txmod.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:31 am

The houses and the people are all generally okay, it is the tree situation that is so bad. I am in exile right now to get access to power. It is STILL down, I have not had power or internet since last Friday at 8:00 PM. That sucks big time. We had a cool front blow through, but things are supposed to warm back up this weekend, with 50% of the city still without power or A/C.

alishacarie
Modern Groupie

Postby alishacarie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 am

Wow, this is really bad! I hope everything can be fixed

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Ike

Postby cougarider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 am

My neighborhood on the southwest side looks the same. After the devestation I stepped outside and screamed in fury "why the tress!" So much bebris and beautiful trees gone in a matter of hours. It looked like a tree bomb (if there were such a thing) went off in our city. I too have no power at my place.

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:35 am

My brother lives in Houston and I belive they just got their power back today. It is really sad to see all those trees get uprooted.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:45 pm

I went by that first house today, the one with the garage underneath it, and even though the trees had survived, albeit with damage, they just cut them completely down. I'll just add it to the list of things they shouldn't have done with that house.

I am still in exile with no power. Part of the unlucky 34% of the city.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Got power back today finally, woo-hoo! 17 days without makes one cranky!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 am

Wow! Glad to hear you have your power back!!!!!! :D Whenever I hear stories like this, I think about getting a gas powered generator......then I forget. Hearing your story, I'm seriously thinking of making a trip to Home Depot toady.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 am

i actually had to laugh at the "yard of the month" picture.
levity in the midst of tragedy. thank you for sharing the photos - it helps us all understand the depth of what you all went through.

in a place (vegas) where there are very precious few trees like that - it is difficult to see them all uprooted. just glad to know that there were not so many people hurt, though.

thoughts and prayers go out to you and your posse there in tx. glad to know you got your power back on...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”