Question about ceiling

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MattMCM
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question about ceiling

Postby MattMCM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm

I hope this question has not been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the search to answer this one. I have been debating about removing these white panels and wood verneer paneling from my ceiling to achieve the "cliff may" look. What I would like to know if I ever choose to do this is what the white panels are made of? Is there any chance they are made of asbestos? Here is a pic for better idea of what I am trying to explain:

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:44 pm

There IS a chance they contain asbestos. A few things to consider. Do you have a history of the house? Are the panels original or a later addition? If later, when? These answers can help narrow it down but unfortunately no one here can be certain. The only way to be 100% is to have it tested. Or, you could hang drywall or wood paneling over them and forget about it.

I'd like to see more pics of your house. From the little I've seen, I'm intrigued. I like the wood personally.
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:48 pm

those white panels do resemble ceilings in some Cliff May homes. I'll bet they off a certain amount of insulation too, which is something you probably don't want to reduce in Texas.

your ceiling looks great. I'd leave it if it's original and in decent condition.

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Matt, i would say yes there's a very good chance they have asbestos. I would not touch them.

DW

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I wish I had asked about these panels before I bought the home but this being my first home, I was naive to asking about such things like asbestos. I did not know some cliff may homes had these....all pictures I have seen show exposed rafters and beams which is how my roof looks under these panels.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 pm

don't beat yourself up. almost all houses built in the 50s, 60's and 70s had some form of asbestos used in it's construction: from tile and mastic to panels and pipe insulation. other than removing it entirely (and doing that "properly"), the best thing to do is to leave it be and/or carefully cover it up. it's truly only dangerous when made friable... or churned up into dust. carefully covering those panels (which, no doubt do help with insulation) will help keep it where it's s'posed to be... if nothing else, you might think to mask off the beams and spray or roll with a good sealer/primer to help encapsulate what's up there. me? i sorta like what i see... the panels give a nice and clean look and ones like them were used in cliff may homes (celotex?), no?

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 pm

Matt, if they do have asbestos in them, don't trip toooooo much on it; 99% percent of the people who got asbestosis were constantly exposed to the dust and were VERY HEAVY SMOKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you're not in the habit of scraping your ceilings every day, inhaling the dust while smoking four packs of Lucky Strikes (LSMFT!) a day: if you are, man, you really need to relax!
People get the idea that asbestos is like Radon, a silent killer that will kill you slowly. If you leave it alone, it will leave you alone; but if you feel that terrified about it, take it out wearing a hazmat suit, with full resperator gear and eye protection, then shower thoroughly after.
I'm not saying asbestos is not a bio-hazard, but when there are things like benzine around, think gasoline, it pales in comparison.
The tiles I think, are kinda cool, keep'em.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am

Matt, how about posting some more pics of the house-looks very cool! Also, if you really want to find out if the panels do have asbestos, you could always bring in home inspector/engineer or asbestos abatement company to look at the panels and advise as to their makeup. Maybe they are harmless and exposing the ceiling underneath will be a piece of cake-you never know.

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 am

Jesgord- I will try to get some more pictures of the exterior. Thank you for the compliments.

After all the input I have read from others, I have decided perhaps it is best to leave the ceiling the way it is for the time being.

I am enjoying this community, too bad there are not many local people in San Antonio TX that enjoy the same style houses like I do. Because of this, I am seeing a lot of them get either remuddled or torn down to make room for Tuscan style homes.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Amen brother! Gabby and I consider ourselves the weirdest-people-in-town for the lifestyle we choose to live. 90% of the stuff we own and use is period, because we like it that way. When we bought our house:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93018283@N ... 072678202/

there was a really snotty woman who was also interested in it too, she was talking about removing walls and redoing the kitchen, "WTF! We can't let her do this to this house..." Everyone thinks we're either quaint or harmless-cooks. When I lived in San Jose, CA, there was a cool old ranch house around the corner from me, that got turned into what looked like a bordello: French provincial googaws all over it, iron fence, water fountains, ceramic dogs, "Bang-bang-joe!" It's people like that, that make our stuff more valuable down the road, not to mention more interesting to other people who are curious about old things.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm

How long have you lived in the house?
I'd leave it coming from personal experience.
We had a drop ceiling made of those tiles with
the tongue and groove pine ceiling we wanted
it to be exposed to match the rest of the house.
Had amazing cylinder recessed lighting
original to the house and I yanked it. Dumbest thing I
ever did. We painted the room to correspond
to the exposed T&G and a still a year later I regret every moment of it.
It's lost all of it's character, not to mention the gained accoustical
echoes. Still waiting to install a regular ceiling now...just a matter of $.

Oh, and the odds are that those are held to the ceiling
by mastic glue. At least our were. I have yet to figure out how to remove those from our kitchen's pine ceilings. Heck, even that glue contains asbestos from when we sent samples to a lab a couple years back.

One of the top regrets on LL...........underlined

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:11 pm
I wish I had lived in my house a little longer before I started working on it. We painted everything but the bathrooms before we moved in and after only a few months, I don't like the colors in a few rooms. However, this is an easy fix once I find the right color!

To avoid regrets, take your time and learn from your home, what needs to be done.
[/b]

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:40 pm

I have lived in the house for almost two years now. I am slowly tweaking it to my taste, but leaving it as original as possible.

Jesgord, I have uploaded some exterior pictures to my photobucket album.

I am not a photographer by any means, so the quality of these pictures are not the best.

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 pm

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:41 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Glad that you are going to keep the Jalousies...we love ours although they are a little hard to clean and they distort the view a bit and they leak like an old wood boat and did I mention they are hard to clean:) Wouldn't trade them for the world (they are the only windows that open).

I think your ceilings look great...my vote is to leave them alone.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”