What is "Henderson-designed in Claremont CA" ?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

La in La
Modern Groupie

What is "Henderson-designed in Claremont CA" ?

Postby La in La » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:44 pm

I am considering buying a MCM in Claremont, CA. The description reads:

"Custom-designed Henderson-built.." plus a description of the particulars. This house hasn't been touched since it was built! Yea!

What does Henderson-designed mean in this context? The year of the home is 1965.

Anybody?

Thanks -- Leigh Anne

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 am

Hello L A Munoz,

And welcome to Lotta Living!

I would say that the phrase "custom designed Henderson built" implies that the house was designed by someone and constructed by someone named Henderson. So Henderson may have been a builder of single homes, or perhaps a developer of many homes. But unlikely that he was a designer or architect. The same way that Eichler or the Alexanders were builders/developers but not designers themselves.

Please post the listing when you feel so inclined.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I did a

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 am

Google search and street view. Having grown up in Claremont I don't recall Henderson but where I think it is I recall a tract of custom built/spec homes,-on the street view the one to the east of it is really really cool looking, kinda even looks eichleresque. FYI The tract to the north was called Briarcrest, don't remember the builder name tho but there were several tracts in the Pomona Valley they built with the same name, the architect on those was Frank Gonzalez & Assoc. (still in business I think-designed a lotta homes in Fontana's Southridge development). To the south of the listing was the Cinderella homes (there was a discussion somewhere else on here) and the builder of those (in the Pomona Valley area at least) was Robert Olin (the office used to be where I think that music store is on the nw corner of Towne and Foohill just east of the gas station)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:37 pm

D.W. Henderson, Co., Designer AND builder. Hmmm, I'll run this by our Pomona valley experts.

La in La
Modern Groupie

link to property & thanks!

Postby La in La » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Claremont/303- ... me/7882948

What a great resource! I'll let you all know what happens, if anything.

Wish us luck!

--Leigh Anne in CA

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”