Help with art over my MCM couch

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BlueAgave
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Help with art over my MCM couch

Postby BlueAgave » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Looking for a painting to go over my couch any ideas?

Not sure why the image won't post but the URL will show you pic.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8ce3 ... /ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8ce3 ... /ry%3D400/
Last edited by BlueAgave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:13 pm

what a great room!

this looks like great architecture. the understated neutral colors of your sofa and the natural danish era furniture totally work. any good art piece should work, but i think it would be best to avoid photography here and have a more colorful piece. if you can find a good abstract oil painting, that would be the best fit. of course, great midcentury abstract paintings can be incredibly expensive. a print by a well known artist would be appropriate and would hold its value. you can find affordable paintings "in the manner of" on ebay. in general, with art it all depends on what you want to spend. oil paintings by listed artists are more expensive than prints by the same artist.
also, don't worry if the painting is not huge. there are great period photos of florence knoll rooms with long sofas with, by todays standards, relatively small paintings hung asymmetrically over the sofa. it looks very refined.

whatever the image is, i think that it should be abstract.
space is the place

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 am

seems to me, the paneling itself is a work of art -- and the architecture of the space... not sure you need anything there.

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 am

redneckmodern-you are right about the paneling. beautiful grain pattern. if that spot gets a lot of liight, be careful about the fading which will occur when something hangs there, you might get a rectangle with a lighter color in a few years.

but i still agree with blue agave that it would be a good spot for something. again, understate it, not too huge.
space is the place

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:57 am

We also needed an art piece on a certain blank wall. Not to mention, a few other places around the living room and kitchen. So we decided to take a stab at making it ourselves. For a canvas, I used 3" thick styrofoam. I bought a couple of 8'x4' sheets, cut it into sections and primed it. The styrofoam made for some cool textures. And the thickness gave it a nice substantial look, though light in weight. I don't claim to be an artist, but it was fun to do...

Living room (the largest 5'x3')...
For this one, I painted over the primer with background of solid black. Then used a hand towel to smear large semi-transparent swashes of another color. After which a combination of dripped paint and body imprints were applied.

Far side of living room, near all the windows....

Kitchen...

Over the breakfast table...
I dripped the black then white one after the other so they'd bleed together. Then after they dried, dripped a few other colors on top.

The ummm..."artist" hard at work...

We may eventually replace these with "real" artwork. But until then, they will suffice. The whole project was very inexpensive, well under $100. Like I said, it was fun to do. And, they make for an interesting conversation piece... :)

Good luck with whatever you do.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

WOW

Postby BlueAgave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Robhouston

Thows are some crazy good pieces of art for someone who doesn't claim to be an artist. The guy with the anteater head would be the colors that I think might fit good? Can I commission you for some more pieces like that?

RedneckModern
The wood paneling is over 50 years old and faded badly in spots, see other pics I added. also added one of our new kitchen.
Peterm
Thanks for the ebay idea for art I'll try that. I also was thinking abstract was the way to go.

GVRanch
Modern Fan

Some alternatives

Postby GVRanch » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:11 pm

If you search for "giclee" "mid century" "abstract" or similar terms that describe the art you want, you'll find several vendors that sell giclee reproductions of abstract works and giclee prints of works by contemporary artists working in that style. Many are pretty moderately priced.

Another option is thrift shops, estate sales, and church and charity sales. Here is the 1957 oil I found for $35 at a charity rummage sale last month. The original frame needs work but nothing major.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:33 pm

I want to suggest student art shows at local colleges. You will probably have to wait until spring, because that is when many of the shows are. I also think that a horizontal piece would be best.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 am

Defenitely hit some student/graduate art shows and even galleries that are up and coming for some emerging artist paintings. Support your local artists you can get some great deals at christmas time studio tours and sales. I wouldn't shy away from imagery in the art, sometimes if the abstract work is not done well it just comes off as decorative, boring and/or one-dimensional.
How about a cool Ed Ruscha print or try stretching a canvas and making a "copy" or spinoff of one although this can be difficult depending on your experience. but if you have access to an overhead projector it is more do-able.

or a framed print like: http://store.artriver.com/merchant/merc ... ry_Code=JB
Polite and Cordial

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Have you considered some type of metal wall sculpture? Something by Curtis Jere perhaps? I have something similar to this over my fireplace:
Although some of his vintage pieces are a bit pricey, there are some licensed reproductions available at more modest prices.
I think something in copper or brass would look great against that paneling. Here's what's on eBay as of this writing.

Good luck!

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I support home_boy's notion. You have great looking paneling. A wall-hanging sculpture in the style or Modigliani, Calder, etc would give the space above your couch interest while not hiding that gorgeous, flamboyant wood grain.

Just my $0.02

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:35 pm

Nice link Izzy.

My two cents...
And just off the cuff, I would consider a triptych of three pieces...
subtle, elegant.
(hard to tell wacky personality from your avitar :) and all the crap on the
kitchen counter :) ) kidding... but a i get a sense of a need for simplicity.

On the site Izzy posted i see some really nice prints.
Wess Mills, Clemente, Motherwell. etc.

One of each artist or three Motherwell.

Always visual pleasure.

Josquin

Wall Art

Postby Josquin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:42 am

You may consider the period West Coast hard edge painters, like John McLaughlin, Karl Benjamin, Lorser Feitelson, Helen Lundeberg and Frank Hammersley.
John McLaughlin
Karl Benjamin
Helen Lundeberg
Lorser Feitelson
Frank Hammersley

Or some prints by Joseph Albers

Like the others, dilettante and homeboy, I really like the wood grain, so I would use some small bold pictures or prints. I like Rockland's suggestion for a triptych.

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

More cool pics

Postby BlueAgave » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:24 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:56 am

Polite and Cordial

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Postby BlueAgave » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Go with what you like, for sure. Don't buy anything because someone told you to. But... educate yourself about art if you plan to spend some good money on the paintings. If you live near LA or SF hit some of the universities. I highly recommend going to some graduate student shows. ( i would emphasize the "graduate" part)
I also believe that just because we live in a mid century home does not mean we need to decorate with art that is stuck in that time or with solely abstract art. But this is only one woman's opinion...
Some more great artists to check out:
Donald Baechler

Peter Halley
Larry Rivers
Jack Pierson (check this one out, he uses old lettering from signs to spell things, you could do this)
Luc Tuymans (lovely)
Cy Twombly (LOVE him)
Terry Winters (Love him)
Christopher Wool (Uses stencils to make words, simple but cool)
Squeak Carnwath (my teacher and friend, makes amazing paintings and you can get lithos of her work and many others)
I won't keep going but if you look at some of these and others then the more you see the more you know....Image

Last edited by Izzy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Polite and Cordial

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 pm

I agree with izzy.
Decorative. Like playing with food.
Not very serious. Keep looking.
I'll find some more links. I'm awfully busy with work but
something will come up.
(and it looks great with nothing at the moment!)

classic form

Postby classic form » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Keep an eye on the Treadway Gallery auctions. They always have a large sample of art in your range. This link is for an auction that took place in Sept. but it should give you an idea of the style and price range they consign. The art lots start at 626 with the more "modern" coming in towards the end of the section.

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/lots.php ... ctionID=19

For what it's worth, I agree with Izzy regarding being stuck with one style or time period.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

arkitip

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

http://www.arkitip.com/printed-matter/hecox/

You could also look at some of the younger crowd sites.

I've held onto this subscription and one of the last. (i've deleted everything)
Arkitip, Granta, and Cabinet i will keep. Oh, and the New Yorker.

Arkitip,often political (and that i like) and great stuff. If you have young kids, this is stuff that
will be appreciated in the future. What i mean is that they will like it and "mom and dad are cool"
It is just really good. I see a warhol in that crowd.

Not necessarily couch art but keep looking and get a good sense of visuals.
Josquine also posted some great images.
Have fun but buy smart.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 am

I second the suggestion on a Jere wall sculpture as a good option, although I personally prefer ones that are more abstract than the example above. And since it doesn't really cover up much wood, it may leave less of a mark. Here's what we have over our sofa...

Last edited by Chimay on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:12 pm

I'm going to give a 3rd nod to Jere. I think one of the problems is that just about any painting you hang on the wall will look like it's on the wall instead of a part of the wall. The wall sculpture will give you that sense of integration I think you're after. Otherwise, I think your art will consistently compete with the wood paneling.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Postby BlueAgave » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:23 pm

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Postby N.U.Mod » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 am

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Postby N.U.Mod » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:54 am

Oh, yeah, also if you really like sculptures try:

www.artisanhouse.com

I have the Kaleidoscope over my fireplace and it gets comments almost everytime someone sees it for the first time!

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Charley Harper!

Postby elvispresley2k » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:31 pm

is the master.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:48 pm

If you're feeling like a road-trip, head to Fresno and hit the Chris Sorensen studio off of Van Ness Blvd in Downtown Fresno.
ImageImage(Sculpture outside of the San Joaquin Hotel)
http://www.cmsartstudio.com/Index.html
http://www.sierratel.com/timberline/Chr ... ollio.html

He has a TON of really cool metal wall sculptures in a variety of materials, and I'm pretty sure you'll find one that will sit just right over that beautiful paneling.

Don't hide, the wood... emphasize the contrast with a beautiful metal sculpture with relief off the wall.

One of my faves (would love to get my hands on it) is the "Dandelion" by Stan Bitters, located at the FSC Satellite Student Union. Something like that would look great on your wall:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”