Mid-Century Modern it ain't-

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

Mid-Century Modern it ain't-

Postby JGropp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Mid-Century Modern it ain't- this builder special is listed for $539,900. Designwise it lacks quite a bit- although there's plenty of space.
It's really too bad the same amount of materials weren't better employed to make a more attractive home. Our young families deserve
better. It's not only the mortgage business that's in trouble, it's the whole homebuilding scene. I'd like to see some discussion on this
by LottaLiving-ites. After all, our franchise is promoting as well as preserving good home design- especially Mid-Century Modern. Jerry

Note all the so-called
"Craftsman" touches-
fake stone, tapered cols.
and the scrawny shutters.

Last edited by JGropp on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:32 pm

scowsa

JGropp

how far design has regressed-

Postby JGropp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 pm

For one thing, to call attention to how
far home design has regressed. Jerry-

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:04 pm

JGropp

Postby JGropp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:44 pm

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

ch

Postby ch » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:24 am

Personally, I'd like to know where the current fascination with multiple gables and vast rooflines began. Never before has so much useless square footage been so coveted.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 am

Last edited by robbhouston on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

JGropp

a "Bellevue Chateau"-

Postby JGropp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 am

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

And another

Postby modfan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 am

modfan

It's

Postby modfan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:36 am

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

I want history Now

Postby Bosa Nova » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:41 am

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 am

Polite and Cordial

modfan

and

Postby modfan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:14 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Modfan, I'm finally starting to see a resurgence of construction in the 1200-1300 square foot starter home range. KB Home does seem to be leading the way, at least in the really depressed areas like the Antelope and Victor Valleys. I was touring a tract out in Victorville, and was amazed to see prices back in the mid-$100k ranges. What amazed me most of all was that these communities were PACKED with interested buyers.

Of course, they're still about as uninspired and poorly built as the bigger homes, but at least we're starting to see some areas bucking trend toward bigger and more bloated houses. Big homes certainly aren't going away, but as energy and transportation costs rise, I do think we're going to see fewer and fewer McMansions in favor of more sustainable urban planning and architectural design. (Heck, even Orange County is seeing a booming "urban living" market these days.)

modfan

Indeed

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:50 am

1300 sf for 3/2 you can have a pretty decent house for that size.

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Postby N.U.Mod » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 am

I totally agree that this is a worthwhile discussion. Modernism is not merely an aesthetic visual style. It is an approach, a lifestyle that is as much visual as it is a "feeling". (Maybe we should have a discussion about what that feeling is? I think it is an individual thing) Anyway, I feel that the "approach" of modernism solves many of the problems that people are experiencing in today's building industry, even though the aesthetics do not appeal to everyone.

I was so excited when I got into the work of Sarah Susanka and the "Not So Big House" phenomena. Although much of her style is more craftsman than Modernism it definitely has a modernist edge and the spirit is very much in the same vein with the interior attention to detail and materials. Is anyone familiar with her work and if she has been able to make any noise in the building industry in any particular region?

I live in North Eastern Ohio now but am a transplant from the Wash Metro area - McMansion capital of the US! I think one of the things that gets to me is that it seems that no actual designers are involved in the development of these homes. The designs are developed by construction-minded as opposed to design-minded individuals. And believe it or not, I believe that many of the trends have come from the more contemporary minded consumer - open plans,"cathedral" ceilings, great room concepts. Unfortunately, there is a public perception that modern is "cold" so the McMansion is the answer to open plan in acceptable form for society. But I
would like to "high five" Perks on this bigger is not better concept. Too many times I had friends that would buy these houses with their last dime and not have a cent left to actually fill those rooms with anything. So you have this home style that employs contemporary concepts without the"coldness" that ends up feeling "cold" because it is essentially empty!

Aside from the exterior massing of these dwellings, another pitfall of building homes that are more construction-minded than design-minded is the fact that "how" we live is not a major consideration. There has to be a balance of economy and function and design. I have seen more odd rooms in these homes that are very large but because of the placement of various windows, vents and returns, outlets, thermostats, doors, light fixtures, etc. it is almost impossible to come up with a seating arrangement that makes sense.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:48 pm

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 am

Polite and Cordial

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:21 am

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:37 am

Well said with regard to pricing-- all of the houses on the market, no matter how ugly, oversized, or inneficient, will eventually sell for a price the market will bear.

Anecdotally, I've recently noticed an uptick in the marketing of older (late 90's early 00's) large SUVs to lower income buyers, typically including the use of low price "specials" and special terms for those with distressed credit. Now that the vehicles are no longer in vogue, you start to see the dealerships unload them on consumers who need an inexpensive vehicle and aren't in a position to be picky with regard to aesthetics and long-term costs.

My point is that I expect to see a similar trend with regard to some of the large cheaply constructed homes on the market over the next few years-- particularly in cases where big tracts of them were built far from city centers with the thinking that the infrastructure required for a real community would sort-of "show up" once everyone moved in. You'll know the trend away from pricing based on size is starting when you call your realtor to talk about a proper valuation for your home, and they can muster a better measure than some half-hearted attempt at averaging the "comps" to get a "price per square foot".

As buyer/sellers, I think many of us have experienced what a sham this pricing method has becvome over the last few years... Hopefully soon, the downturn will cause some more logical measures of value to gain popularity and legitimacy among the real estate community*. It would be high time.

*to be clear, I'm referring to the "community" in an aggregate sense here. There are agents and brokers who get it, and I would never want to be perceived as painting everyone in an industry with one unfavorable brush-- that's never fair.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

JGropp

really liked

Postby JGropp » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 am

I really liked the preceding piece- especially-
"You are born modern, you do not become so".
Jerry

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks-- that last bit is a Jean Baudrillard quote...
You are born modern, you do not become so.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:53 pm

And perhaps with McMansions going out of vogue, those of us who do not live in one can find furniture that is of a scale that will fit into a small house or apartment, without buying something old (which is cool, of course!). But the ridiculously sized couches and chairs dont fit in a normally-sized house! The gross distortion of scale also spread to the furniture industry, as normal-sized chairs and couches were lost in such vast spaces.

People have bought the whole idea of *needing* more "prestigious" and "exclusive" homes for years. When I moved to Southern California from Cleveland 10 years ago, I was shocked at the gated community concept--this does not exist everywhere! The whole idea of walling oneself off from the riffraff was so repugnant to me. And of course the houses were hideous monstrosities that just screamed *Look at how important I am! Look how much money I have! You want to be me!*

I love whoever called it "Vulgaria" [snicker]

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:31 am

Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:47 pm

In Recession, Home Builders Reduce Square Footage

Source: USA TODAY
Publication date: January 9, 2009
By Wendy Koch

The American dream is shrinking. For the first time in at least a decade, builders are substantially reducing the size of new houses.

"We're trending toward smaller homes," says Gopal Ahluwalia, director of research for the National Association of Home Builders. He says growth in the average size of new single-family homes, which went from 1,750 square feet in 1978 to 2,479 in 2007, is starting to reverse.

His analysis of Census data shows that homes started in the third quarter of 2008 averaged 2,438 square feet, down from 2,629 square feet in the second quarter. Ahluwalia, who began the quarterly analysis in 1999, says there have been slight dips before, but the latest drop was much steeper and is likely to hold even after the economy recovers.

In a survey of builders this month, his group found that 89% are building or planning smaller homes than they had been.

Kermit Baker, chief economist of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), also sees the shift toward smaller houses. He says it was obvious with high-end buyers even before the economic downturn and he expects it to continue with them.

In a survey last April, the AIA found twice as many architects reporting a size decline rather than an increase. In 2006, the reverse was true.

"Affordability is a major problem," Ahluwalia says, and building smaller usually means cheaper. Also, he says, people are realizing as household size shrinks that they don't need big homes.

Baker says there is less incentive to buy a bigger, more expensive home as the economy weakens, home prices fall and energy costs remain a concern. He says people are less likely to see a home as a good investment.

Even high-end buyers, Baker says, are showing more interest in smaller, better-crafted homes.

"People don't want to be wasteful," says JD Callander of Weichert Realtors. She says they are concerned about utility costs and cleaning requirements.

Clients used to like the status of a big home, she says, but "those days are gone."

(c) Copyright 2009 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

JGropp

The spirit of Lotta Livin'-

Postby JGropp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:00 am

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

KevinEP
Modern Master

I gotta say...

Postby KevinEP » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 am

they get a lot worse than the original Craftsman Revival example.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”