Question regarding Insulation

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CapitalMod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question regarding Insulation

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:52 am

I tried searching first, but found nothing regarding this particular question.

My 1952 ranch has two types of insulation in the attic. One side features the common pink fiberglass stuff and seems to be fine as that side of the house is warm. But the other side features yellow fiberglass that is prewrapped in brown paper. I have never seen anything like it. I assume its older than the pink stuff as the floorboards are nailed down on that side.

That side of the house is chillier and I am inclined to replace it myself. But before I start pulling up floorboards, does anyone know what this stuff is or what era it comes from? I doubt it has asbestos, but I should I have a sample tested anyway?

Thanks for any help.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am

The yellow is also fiberglass batt insulation with a craft paper backing.

Are the pink and yellow versions the same thickness?

Are there more windows or doors on the cool side?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 am

Pink might be thicker. Hard to say as its not wrapped in paper. Let me emphasize that its not just a paper backing, but a complete wrap.

There are two windows, one on each side. Previous owner put up huge sheets of vinyl siding outside which block the windows (will remove someday).

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 am

on this topic's note: has anyone ever had insulation blown in after the fact?
i've heard of where someone comes out and drills holes in the side of your house and blows new insulation in, and through your ceiling. We are considering this as right now our house has no insulation really. Anyone done this? how expensive?
its getting colder here in seattle...
Polite and Cordial

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 am

We had cellulose blown into our ceiling joist space. They drilled holes every few feet in every joist bay and filled up the cavities. Google dense-pak cellulose for more information.

Part of our ceiling in our two story living room they could not do because we had no scaffolding, but the rest of what they did was about 1600 sf w/ 10 inch joists. Price was approx. $1000.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 pm

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 am

Hey Cadman:

The yellow looks older and dirtier. I also assume its older as most of the floorboards were put back in place while the pink section has no floorboards. What's really strange about it however, is that it appears to be completely wrapped in brown paper as oppossed to having a paper back on one side to act as a vapor barrier.

As that "yellow side" of the house is noticably cooler, I am leaning towards replacing it with brand new stuff.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”