Seeking help on our new home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

mcmatl
Modern Groupie

Seeking help on our new home

Postby mcmatl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Last edited by mcmatl on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:04 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Yes do explain you need and uses for an enclosed carport. Architects call this the "program" In other words the why is always first before the how.

The french doors seem fine. At least thy are single light and not divided light.
Do they open out? I don't even mind the railings. (although they would not meet the current code for keeping kids from climbing through) The place is a little Frank L Wright Usonian rather than purely MCM. That is not a bad thing. It's always best and most successful to go with what a house really is and not try to force a style on it.

mcmatl
Modern Groupie

Postby mcmatl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Fair question re: the carport. It's basically is driven by security and overall comfort concerns (ability for spouse/family to enter/exit cars after dark safely and without exposure to weather elements). While a very nice part of town, random crime is not uncommon. And, believe it or not, it does get quite cold here.

I hear you on the concern of overly enhancing the existing horizontal lines. I do like the suggestion of breaking it up some how with an open space/breezeway in the carport, but not sure how that might affect the above concerns.

I'll work to get some interior shots up. It definitely has a naturalist, FLW feel on the exterior (which compliments the very woodsy lot), but the inside has a more classic 60s modern feel -- drywall, oversized brick double fireplace, vaulted ceilings, straightline features, and so on.

Keep the thoughts coming -- really value everyone's input!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I can understand

Postby modfan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:45 am

the reason for the garage vs the carport. Ya might do a carport/garage enclosure on the front that would repeat the pattern of the balcony railing (if that's a design element you want to keep) and back it with some obscure glass/plastic. It would offer some protection, provide light and privacy and wouldn't be too overwhelming with the horizontal aspects of the adjacent brick and windows, and would repeat/match design themes elsewhere on the front of the house.
Just a thought.
added: I just returned from Atlanta, got a few pics of some mod homes
among them the Northcrest community. I also visited relatives in Conyers that despite their 'traditional' exteriors to their residences had almost entire modern furniture inside, I'll try to post some pics and provide a link here later. I was surprised to see palms and banana plants planted in the ground in Atlanta too.
Last edited by modfan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 am

Hey mcmatl. Welcome to the board. I live in Atlanta too... well actually Decatur now... just bought my first house at the end of August in a mid-century neighborhood called Spring Valley. Where in Atlanta is your house located?

mcmatl
Modern Groupie

Postby mcmatl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 am

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:05 am

marittamodern
Modern Fan

Postby marittamodern » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am

I'm an OTP (outside the perimeter) midcentury lover in Marietta. I did a typo on my screen name.
My wife and I live in a 60's modern ranch. We where featured in the AJC back this spring. I'll post photos of the changes we've made since then.

Andy
[img]http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/living/home/hgkeels/

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:25 pm

mcmatl... fwiw, i'd guess that 80% of the 2-car garage models in our eichler neighborhood have so much crap stuffed in the garages that parking 1/more cars is impossible... leaving the cars in the driveways or streets where random crime occurs most (more than in the covered carport homes -- which has a carport in place of one of the garage stalls giving them a 1-car garage... and a carport very close to the house). i agree with the "why" question above and challenge you (not in a slap-across-the-face way, of course) to look ahead 5 years and envision the space... will you actually open the garage doors when you enter/leave the house -- or just be tempted to park in the driveway (potentially because the garage has now filled with stuff)? i'm wondering if you might use the space more for parking if it were an open area more than if it were enclosed... you'd not be prone to keep stuff in there and force the cars further from the house. just a thought...
Last edited by redneckmodern on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marittamodern
Modern Fan

Postby marittamodern » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 pm

It's great to know there are other midcentury fans in Atlanta. Can we start to meet for coffee and share ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31841959@N07/?saved=1[/url]

mcmatl
Modern Groupie

Postby mcmatl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Really special house, mcmatl. Congratulations. You're right that it has strong hints of Wright's later style. I particularly admire the simple and strong brick forms, the unusually strong two-story elevation at the left, and the fine big roof.

To me, the colors as they are work perfectly -- but any single-color or two-tone earth-toned paint job would be dandy.

I'll break with my colleagues on the carport. Though I'm normally the first to defend the original design of an architecturally-superior structure, and while I like very much the simplicity of the existing design here, this house is better prepared than most to accept an intervention, in my opinion. This is because there is a heavy shadow cast by the generous roof overhang (a primary Wright cue) and that shadow is reinforced by the dark color of the window band and woodwork. By extending the plane of that window band across the carport, with matching wood detailing and a simple garage door or doors (perhaps faced in the same boards as the surrounding wall) I think the change would read just as it might have if designed by the original architect.

The only question would be how to deal with the brick pier at the corner. The obvious solution is to expose it, with the woodwork butting it at front and side. But it is such a strong vertical accent, on a horizontally-oriented facade, that I would be tempted to demolish it, or to miter the wood siding around it as a fin-like terminal to the design.

If the garage doors want windows, these might be larger than usual, and follow the same sill line as the rest of the sash on that part of the house. But then the garage would read like living space, and one would wonder why the brick wall stops where it does. So blind garage doors, or a simple slit window at the top of the doors, would be better. Perhaps a passage door at the left, matching the glazed door on the front balcony (and, one hopes, the new front doors ?), would be useful ?

Thanks for sharing your new home with us. What does the rear of the house look like ? Is there ground access from the lower level ?

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Here is one possibility for the new balcony parapets. Of course, you won't have quite this many on your house. . .!

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”