Need help in Atlanta

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Need help in Atlanta

Postby Panton-ite » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Our house in the ATL suburbs is on the market right now. We are looking for the perfect MCM under $300,000 (renovated or a fixer). A house we loved in Northcrest just sold before we could do anything on our current home. We constantly cruise through Northcrest and would love to end up there if the perfect house comes up and we can unload our current home. We've also seen a few Mods in Huntley Hills and Northwoods. Does anybody know of any other good MCM's coming on the market in Atlanta soon, listed or FSBO? We really need to be kinda centrally located for my job which makes the Northcrest area perfect. The thing that makes it tough for us is that I'm a woodworker and need room for a shop. Basements are rare in areas like Northcrest and I'm not sure what it would cost to build a shop/mcm addition to a garage or carport.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

mcmatl
Modern Groupie

Postby mcmatl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm not aware of any specific listing, but if you aren't working with a good agent, I might recommend Cindi Sokol, a real estate agent that specializes in MCM homes (and a resident of the Northcrest neighborhood, I understand).

Good luck in your search. As a fellow Atlantan, I'll keep my eyes open...

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

We're working with an agent that's an old friend of mine. We did check out Cindi Sokol's latest Northcrest listing (under contract). What a great house!

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 am

I was in that house yesterday - terrific original condition with stainless stove-top, oven and hood in an original walnut door/drawer kitchen. It had this cool flourescent light above the sink with a stainless, movable reflector (first I've seen like that). All the bathrooms and even the bar in the basement are original - I think it's one of the least touched houses in the neighborhood. Underneath the louvered screen door is a beautiful birch door with star escutcheon. Many of the light fixtures have been replaced with traditional elements but those are relatively easy fixes. The basement even had the original 9" absbestos tile in white. It's nice to see something so original.

I saw a new listing on Regalwoods that came on the market yesterday - I haven't been inside but it looks decent from the exterior and it's priced right (around $255 if memory serves) and looks to have a basement - you should check it out.

If you do manage to get in the neighborhood I'll show you my woodworking shop - it's in the basement. At my previous house on Thornewood I erected a stand-alone building for a woodworking shop - one of the advantages of Northcrest is that many of the homes are on 3/4 acre lots - plenty of space to build if you're inclined.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:14 am

johnnyapollo,

I checked out your blogs. Your shop looks great. I dig the vintage tools. My dad collects them...he would drool. Your ceiling is so cool. Good lighting in a shop is SO hard to come by.

I saw the new listing on Regalwoods. We're going to check it out and see what the basement is like.

As long as the bones are good and not too 'messed-with' in a house, we can renovate and make it great. The space for the shop is a necessity. I do wood refinishing for a living and have to have a space. I work all over town so Northcrest would be a great location. I just pray we can sell our house before the perfect MCM goes bye-bye!

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:14 am

You should check out my neighborhood in Decatur... it's called Spring Valley. There are a few for sale right now... one of which is a for sale by owner that is huge. Most of the houses are pretty big and have big basements too. Mine is 2,222 square feet on the main level and about 1,000 square feet in the basement. Cindi Sokol was my realtor and I HIGHLY recommend her!!!
I was trying to move into Northcrest as well, but got outbid on the house I wanted several years ago and then when we re-launched our search last year, there weren't any in my price range that I really loved. I stumbled upon Spring Valley one day and was pleasantly surprised. It's a great little neighborhood with a lot of great houses for under $200,000. It even has swim and tennis. I would check it out. Seems like a hidden gem of a neighborhood for mid-century modern houses in Atlanta that not a lot of people know about.
I need to get around to taking pictures of my house, but here's a photo of part of my great room from the listing when it was up.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 pm

I've also heard about a neighborhood that's close to Stone Mountain that has some P&H style homes towards the back - it's called Hidden Acres or something similar (not to be confused with the Hidden Acres that is between Northcrest and Northcrest East). I've been looking for more info - they appear to be built around the time between Northwoods and Northcrest were being built (late 50's) so were porbably done by Walt Talley's company (he put together Northwoods and was a hidden partner with the builders of Northcrest) - it's my opinion that Talley was directly or indirectly responsible for most of the California Ranches (sometimes called P&H Splits) you see around town, especially in the Chamblee and Doraville area.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:27 pm

My brother just closed on a house in Northcrest a few weeks ago. Wonder if it was the same one you were interested in....

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:59 pm

It's all good. There are always great homes in Northcrest popping up.

lookritemodern
Modern Fan

Postby lookritemodern » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm

On a different subject, just curious as to what kind of woodwork you may be doing. I have a MCM home close to Northcrest that I am thinking of redoing the kitchen and am in need of assistance with cabinets. Looking for someone with an idea on MCM aesthetics. Please let me know. Thanks Rob

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”