My Mastic glue on pine ceiling issue

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Mastic glue on pine ceiling issue

Postby Scott NC » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Okie all,
Been almost 2 yrs with this crappy mastic from tile on our kitchen ceiling and I've beaten the issue into a wall here. I can't take it anymore. All the Beanie Doo ads never mention anything about mastic on your ceilings. I don't want to scrape b/c there's so much. Labor is good for me, but upside down with neck bent back is not my idea of fun. Tough to pay others to do it. Almost ready to buy some pine 1x4's or something, stain em, and slap em up there over the mastic. Anyone think this is a ridiculous idea?

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:23 pm

bean-e-doo is quite oily and smells like rancid salad dressing -- and i'd think it'd soak into the wood pretty severely. i'd not put it up there. plus, there will still be black marks where the mastic was (and after the bean-e-doo softened it and let it soak further into the wood...

if you really want to save the wood, you might get a little michelangelo on it and build some scaffolding that will allow you to lie on your back and scrape. perhaps even with wheels so a helper can reposition you as you go.

otherwise, re-planking seems like a solid idea. might even be able to furr it out and add some insulation panels.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:40 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:12 am

ouch.

It looks like my studio ceiling after a full can of spray foam exploded while i
was out of town. What did i do? I moved. :) Seriously though, a new ceiling put over it is
not a bad solution. But, if i attempted to remove the muck, I would use scafold. (very cheap
to rent. In NY anyway). Rather comfortable to work lying down if you have a system for
removal. When i refinished my floors in an old industrial loft years ago, i had similar tar muck
that i removed with first a wide long handled paint scraper, then a cabinet scraper.
http://www.woodzone.com/articles/scrapers/index.htm
I easily cleaned about 20 spots but you have hundreds! And your ceiling is a much softer wood.
The entire ceiling would need to be scraped to even out the color i believe.
Good photos BTW. The close up shows that you may not have much staining that has gone deep
into the wood. Seems a cabinet scraper would work but a daunting task.
I have a couple spots that i keep meaning to address. I noticed a boot print in the kitchen!
And odd un-natural chicken scratches on the ceiling over the bed. Just one board.
I keep meaning to try the cabinet scraper...
I suppose scraping and painting, if you still have stains, would be better than those tiles!

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 pm

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Don't look up

Postby Bosa Nova » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Don't look up

Postby Bosa Nova » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 am

OK, so my ceiling looks the exact same a year later and it's making me sick.lol I haven't really been concentrating on the house much due to personal things. But, is there not something out there such as a dust free edge grinder(diamond blade) or anything that will remove just a tiny layer of the whole ceiling? Kind of envisioning like a turf cutter.
Do you think a professional who refinishes hardwood floors would have some tools

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 am

I still think the best idea presented here is to try a peel away stripper. You probably can hire that done. But as has also been pointed out, it will never be pristine again. You might get it cleaned up enough to paint it. If you really want wood, just cover it with some.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:18 am

Heck, I'm just going to heat it slightly and scrape. Comes off easily. I just did the corner portion in about 30 minutes as seen in the pic. Good news: mastic didn't penetrate through the wood, so I'll be able to clean it up with a sander and some matching stain. And of course, I used a mask. I guess I'm just a procrastinator which explains why I hadn't done this in 3 yrs:)

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:09 pm

That's great! Its amazing how actually trying to do something one dreads can often yield positive results. As Benjamin Disraeli said

"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action."
Visit my Blog

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:41 pm

You probably got lucky in that the original wood had some finnish on it (as it must have if it was in a kitchen) Paint thinner will wipe up residue.

Congratulations on getting started.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:58 pm

WTH were they thinking? good luck

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”