MCM (?) on HGTV's Curb Appeal

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bamalama
Modern Socialite

MCM (?) on HGTV's Curb Appeal

Postby bamalama » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Surfing around this evening, I came across an episode of Curb Appeal on HGTV with a mid-century bent:

It will be on again tonight, and then again in January. Did anyone else catch this? I don't want to kvetch too much as I only saw the last few minutes, but they seemed to incorporate a lot of ersatz Frank Lloyd Wright-ian shapes in stained glass motifs and on some wooden shutters, which didn't quite work for me. And they enclosed a carport, with iffy results (aesthetically, that is, the homeowner was thrilled to have an enclosed space). At least they wanted to keep with the style of the house, and feature the original windows, and... um... at any rate, I'd love to hear what you all felt about it. I'm mentally revamping the house right now... Curb Appeal, as you might remember, re-Eichlered an Eichler in Marin a couple of seasons ago, I wonder if they've got an MCM aficionado on staff.

Here's an "after" photo:

kandersen
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby kandersen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:11 am

We caught the end of the show and were not at all impressed.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 pm

that show was embarassing!

the designers knew nothing about Mid-century Modernism and added craftsman style decoration to the facade. The fake stone stamped concrete walkway was a perfect example of what not to do. The stained glass, while nice looking as art, was completely inappropriate for the home and the era that said they were trying to design to. Covering up the carport continued to bodge up the house further (note the horrid second story addition).

They only thing cool was the original hand rail leading into the house. what a BAD show. It set's MCM restoration back 5 years, easily. :evil:

Sorry Pleasantville, that house and show sucked
Last edited by Joe on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 pm

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm

what i find baffling is don't these tv shows have the internet? aren't their researchers doing ANY research before they do a show like this? all you have to do is type in "Mid century modern" and any number of sites, this one included, would pop up!
Polite and Cordial

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:23 pm

I like "Curb Appeal" and saw this show...didn't help that the house is a hodgepodge with that wierd second story.

I saw another one more recently with a kind of haphazard wood/brick facade that they pulled together nicely with a greenish-gray paint overall. They changed the bad 70s style railing with a modern (geometric) railing and replaced the wavy glass sidelight with plain glass and a frosted insert with giant house number cutouts.

That one was cool.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:40 am

I think quite often that we on this board lose perspective. We are passionate about a certain kind of design, which is at present a nitch interest. Even among those who care about design and have taken the time to educate themselves, our tastes are specific and focused on a particular part of the spectrum (we didn't need the likes of Frank Gherry to rescue us from the "coldness" of Mid Century Modernism, thank you very much).

As a result, when we see something that was produced for the masses (and by that, I mean homogenized, pasteurized, and focus grouped until it is universally safe and in all ways un-noteworthy) that loosely associates itself with the subject of our particular design passion, we bristle in response. The reality is, if you're watching an MCM special on HGTV's Curb Appeal, you should expect to dislike it because it wasn't made for you.

That's not to say it isn't a pity, but it is to say that we all have a responsibility to pass along to our more main stream home-remodeler friends what it is that we think is so great about MCM. They don't have to agree with us, but HGTV shouldn't be their only source of information on the subject.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:43 pm

HGTV occasionally gets it right, that's why a show like this is disturbing. Poor quality control.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”