SHAZAM! This so sooooooooo boss!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

SHAZAM! This so sooooooooo boss!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:06 pm

slim and gabby, stop posting your personal photos on here! :wink:
Polite and Cordial

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Boss. Especially the first pic. The models are cool too.

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

That was fun! But you missed this one!

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1310
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 am

Izzy, I wish we looked that cool; funny how it bears a striking resemblance to our posed shot, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93018283@N ... 072678202/

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:16 am

i dunno, that shot is perty cool of you two!
Polite and Cordial

wsobchak
Modern Groupie

Postby wsobchak » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:49 pm

That very first picture is now my desktop picture at work.

It's very frustrating to see these tres cool sophistos in 1950, and what do I now see around me? The house of 20 gables, with its oatmeal-cookie-thin bricks, aluminum doric columns (at least they're not Corinthian), parapets, capulets, and of course the ubiquitous window shutters (hey, how do they work if they are bolted in place?).

But there is intrigue at work in this picture. I assume the standing man and woman are a couple, but she is starting intently at the platinum blonde, while he is engaged in a reciprocal eye-lock with the - what is she? - I guess she's a titanium blonde. At least they have the same taste in footwear, but I find those sandals a bit disquieting.

I think the two idol heads are staring at each other too.

I imagine the books on the top shelf of the bookcase are books they've already read.

And on the ultra-sized coffee table, a gigantix table lighter, and for a snack - what is that? Is that raw hamburger? Is that what the uber-cool ate in 1950?!?

Slim and Gabby

Ooooh...steak tartare!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Wow. I hadn't noticed anything sur la table except for the TV and lighter.
Steak tartare may have been all the rage, no?

Oh, gets more interesting all the time!

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:36 am

...the mirror view television sunk into the table...

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:53 am

I see these folks listening to Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman and Les Baxter's "Radar Blues", or "The City of Glass", as done by Stan Kenton.
I guess steak tartare was the sushi of it's time, mysterious food only weirdos ate.
As for their vehicle of choice, Jaguar, Benz or Renault.
Perhaps the sandals are his way of transitioning into non-conformity, which will eventually lead to a brief stint as a nudist, then he'll become a beatnik, then a hippie, and eventually he'll become a frustrated artist living Mexico, because he was a draft dodger during the war in Indo-China. He now runs a tequila distillery...
Slim

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 pm

The slick tile pool decking evident in this photo:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/4998?size=_original

played a key role in the drunken skull-cracking contest that took place later that very evening.

GoogieHowser
Modern Socialite

Postby GoogieHowser » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:59 pm

"Everything should be made as simple as possible. But not simpler." -Einstein

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”