Economic Doldrums Increase Stuffy, Fluffy & Floral

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Economic Doldrums Increase Stuffy, Fluffy & Floral

Postby Josquin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:17 am

From the Wall Street Journal: The Comforts of Home - Switching from Minimal to Ornamental When the Economy Goes South.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122844261779281859.html

Luckily, I can visit my Uncle in Colonialia, a colonial themed development, on the East coast to get my fill.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Let's remember tho

Postby modfan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 am

That WSJ is owned by Rupert, who also give us Fox News. Already its sloppy journalism has already penetrated the WSJ.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 am

i am somewhere in between this, i couldn't live where i can't spill some flour and veg out somewhere comfortable. at the same time i don't like a lot of clutter and it seems it is a constant battle for me with the 2 little ones. interesting topic though, worth talking about...
Polite and Cordial

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Hmmmm

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm ALMOST speechless about this.
First off, our version of MCM is decidedly NOT minimalist. Functionalism is key, but minimalism is not.

And I must echo comments about Fox and journalism.

My sister and her new fiancee are really hashing out the big sofa questions right now...ah, new love. He is into danish modern and willing to settle for the aforementioned West Elm stuff, while she is all about overstuffed deco....and how interesting that the one with the big career is the overstuffed one, and the minimalist career is the minimalist.
Beats that theory, don't it???

And Izzy...amen to the flour thing. Kitchens gotta be lived in, right. BTW your new kitchen seems to do both quite nicely.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 pm

i gotta agree with slim n gabby... my version is most defenitely not on the minimal side. i do love all the kitsch stuff and we have a lot of it that just doesnt make it out all the time. slim n gabs house reminds me of what first drew me to the 50's and 60's and i LOVE their actual use of all the beloved items they own. on the other hand, i had a collector/artist friend who lived in a 400 sq ft shack stuffed to the gills with all his kitschy robots, records, movies and toys, it was INSANE in there and im not sure he actually used any of it, it was just a hoarding mentality.
2 sides to every coin i guess. i must say that we recently inherited a big brown leather recliner ala pottery barn from the 90's that is in our basement movie/play area and when i get done with everything at night i plop down in that thing and look at my Barcelona chair and don't really give any of this stuff a second thought! guilty pleasure....
Polite and Cordial

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”