Kitchen back splash

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Kitchen back splash

Postby cougarider » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:44 pm

I recently bought a mid century ranch that has had the kitchen remodeled. I know it's not a mid century kitchen for you purists out there. However, I paid for the remodeled kitchen in the purchase price of the home so I will not be
remodeling it since it is all new. I do need to put up a back splash because I'm getting oil slashes behind the oven. Can I get some suggestions on tile types that will add some color and not be out dated in 5-10 years. I've been considering glass mosaics 1x1, glass mosaic subway tiles or basic white 3x5 subway tiles from home depot.

About the kitchen:The countertop is a sandy colored granite with some black speckling. In the dinning room directly across I have the color theme of light green via my saarinen executive chairs (wood leg). The colors in the kitchen are very neutral and will accept just about any color.
Please help!
Thanks

Ignore the red jars. Don't let that influence color options/choices

MonezMod
Modern Fan

Postby MonezMod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Check out www.susanjablonmosaics.com

We put her travertine stix stained glass over our counters and are very happy. There are quite a few variations that may have more appeal to you. The picture found on the website was very accurate.

GVRanch
Modern Fan

Postby GVRanch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:21 pm

You might also want to look at McIntyre tile. Beautiful, classic, gorgeous glazes and, period-suitable options and colors are available.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 pm

ok. here is my response based on MY personal taste.
To not be dated, dont use whats popular..I know that sounds dumb but true. You are not going to change the kitchen into what you want with tile, so go with something that pulls from what you already have. I think black or white subway would look cool. Its basic and you can go wrong..like a white tshirt and jeans.

Wife thinks anything earthy..orange, yellow or beige

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi,
Here is what we recently did for a backsplash combining subway and 1 x 6 glass tiles of varying shades.
the tile was all from HD and the subway tile there is pretty reasonable.
We are very happy with it, its one of my favorite parts of the kitchen.
Good Luck!
this pic was before we grouted but you get the idea
Polite and Cordial

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”