Oven Restoration in LA Area?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Oven Restoration in LA Area?

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:20 pm

OK, so the thermostat in my 1956 Westinghouse electric wall oven is shot. The service guy (who the home warranty company sent out) says there's some other issues with it as well, but he rattled them off to the wife over the phone so I can't be sure exactly what's wrong.

Needless to say, parts for that thing are difficult/impossible to find in the "usual" appliance repair market, and they want to just replace the oven with a new one. Uh, no. I built the whole friggin' kitchen around the thing. I'm taking that oven with me to the grave if I can.

I don't have the expertise to do find parts and/or do repairs myself. Anyone know of someone local to the L.A. area who can rebuild/restore an oven of that vintage? I would prefer the cost only involve an arm or a leg, but not both.

Thanks! :cheers:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Perks, what parts are you in need of? If you have photos of them, it could help. I salvaged much of the internals of a neighbor's oven (same as yours).

Also, search your area for an appliance repair/salvage store that's been in business for a long time. They probably won't have a web site. Check te yellow pages and beat some pavement.

When I refurbished my oven a couple years ago, the place I used had the parts I needed for both my oven and cooktop. they work perfect!

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 am

Joe -- I have to get the details as to what exactly needs repair/replacement, since I wasn't able to be home when the repair guy came by and my wife happened to be the one who answered the phone when they called back. The oven does seem to work (other than fairly poor temperature modulation), so I can't even hazard a guess off the top of my head. Hopefully I'll have a chance to talk to them myself today.

I'll be hitting the pavement as time permits, but figured somebody out here might already have some leads.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

every town has that old appliance repair shop. might not be in the best part of town. The owner might even be an old grump. you never know.

We didn't focus on our oven for a couple of years. during that time, we used a convection microwave for whatever cooking.

Just take your time. you'll find the right parts.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm

You might also give a shoutout in the Super section of automaticwasher.org A lot of us collect, restore, fixup these vintage major appliances over there; good group of guys. On the upside, something like an oven thermostat replacement has a good chance of being crossed with a lot of different (and usually newer) parts too.

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan O. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Might want to check these guys out:

http://www.generalappliancerefinishing.com/

...at least they're not too far from you.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:17 pm

My heart goes out to you buddy! I have a 1959-60 Wedgwood-Holley wall oven that I found at a local friend's-of-the-library sale, its matching cook-top had been cannibalized of ALL it's parts, $**T! they're both canary-yellow, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Unfortunately, these parts didn't last at all long, made cheap, so trying to replace them is next to imposable, SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH! Oh well, I'd have to do some major cutting and filling of the counter-top to get it to fit. They came with all the original literature too, razafrinking-crazfrazits!
Do a search for ovens, stoves, antique, vintage or any other word you can think of that might describe what you're looking for on line: most of all be patient, and diligent. Ask people if they have any leads or places they might know of.
I can't wait to get that 1990's-UGLY-BLACK thing out of my house, and over to a thrift-store, and replace it with a super-swell-boss-o-rama yellow oven.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:20 pm

If it's the thermostat, why not go to Westinghouse directly? It couldn't hurt?!?!??! See if they have any suggestions as to what you could replace it with; a lot of times these big companies have them squirreled away in their warehouses, collecting dust.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, links, etc. (Chris -- I don't know how I missed those old topics...)

I've been sidelined by other obligations but hope to start checking in on things in the next week or so.

I still haven't figured out what the service guys thought might be a problem other than the thermostat, since they aren't returning my phone calls...So I'm hoping to be able to get someone out who can actually tell me exactly what I need. I prefer not to play with electrical things myself, as I'm quite fond of my house and don't much care to burn it down (unlike a couple doors down from me!). :wink:

Anyway, this gives me a few good sources to check in on that I hadn't yet come across myself.

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:01 am

Try Sav-on applicances, in Burbank. 818-843-4840. Good luck.

KevinEP
Modern Master

Yellow

Postby KevinEP » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 am

Slim, I saw the same range and oven at Antique Stove Restoration last week.

Sunday, the proprietor, might be willing to deal.

http://ca.citysquares.com/los-angeles/s ... estoration

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”