The Ranch House: Cliff May's Designs for Modern Living

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
home_boy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Ranch House: Cliff May's Designs for Modern Living

Postby home_boy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Here is something that got past me (even Mr. Nichols who usually spots these things might have missed it).
Anyway, it's still a couple of years away.

“University Art Museum Receives Getty Foundation Grant for Special Exhibitionâ€￾

October 28, 2008
(Santa Barbara, Calif.) –– The University Art Museum at UC Santa Barbara has received a $140,000 grant from the Getty Foundation
to support the research and planning of a scholarly exhibition titled "The Ranch House: Cliff May's Designs for Modern Living."

Here’s a nice photo of the old man himself!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:50 pm

nice find. That is a great photo, circa early-'80s I would think.

2011, I am so there!

Did you notice this drawing? I have never seen this before. Looks like a next generation prefab. notice the modular design. Window panels are replaced with sliders. I wonder if there are plans or interior drawings. Not sure if it was ever built.

The drawing is by Arthur Lonergan. I guess this was after May and Choate split.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:10 pm

What a coincidence. My father is a UCSB alumnus and my mom sent me an email yesterday that there was something about Cliff May in the alumni newsletter and that she would be sending it to me. I'm guessing this is it.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 am

Here's an update on the upcoming exhibition at UCSB
"Carefree California: Cliff May and the Romance of the Ranch"
January 2012- June 2012

"Through drawings, models, sales pamphlets, photographs, site plans, publications, film and television clips and stills, building toys, and popular magazines,
the exhibition will address the opening up of the plan, the emphasis on patio and glass corridor to suggest additional space, and the integration of house and garden."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 am

cool, I'll go!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”