anyone have a mcm storage building

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
reverb2000
Modern Socialite

anyone have a mcm storage building

Postby reverb2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Cant find any old posts on storage buildings. I am planning a 10x16 or so storage building for the back. I have the skills but little imagination. Any pics of cool storage buildings? At this point I am stuck with the idea of a sloped roof, then flat room carport beside it. I am doing this on the cheap and dont want to spend more that 3k on it, so please dont point me to any of the M@dern C@ban@ type things.
Any advice/idea is welcome.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:32 pm

oh ya, I am still toying with the idea of a new 20 ft cargo container...the back of my house is very flat, and this would kinda follow the lines of the house...but I have never seen one that looks "nice", seems they always look like just a metal box. I know you can do alot of things with them, but for a storage bulding, dont see putting in windows etc.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:34 pm

There are ways, but your foundation will make or break the budget. Is it a concrete slab? Pea gravel? Are you in an area of the country where you'll need footings to prevent frost heave?

The price of materials is really getting out of hand :x

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:51 pm

this will be pier and beam. Doesnt freeze here...so blocks, 2x4 and 2x6s with a roof. This is going on an old slab of an old garage..the old slab is at grade now and cracked so there is a moisture problem.

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Image I Just finished this shed earlier this month, I'll put up a photo story of the build in the next couple of days. Cost about $1,700 in material, 2 weeks part time 40 or 50 hours total.
Build it to last.

robdidlyob
Modern Groupie

Postby robdidlyob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 pm

When I bought my house there was a 12'x12' storage shed in the backyard that had the same kind of board & batten siding, and exposed roof beams as the house. Not quite the same look but close enough. Here's a pic:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 am

I am getting ready to build a 8x15 shed and it will contain details of my Cliff May prefab house: board and batten siding, Cliff May window panels, shed roof at the same pitch as the house roof, glass-end gables, slab on grade, exposed post and beam construction. It will look similar to the single detached Cliff May garages in my neighborhood. I'll post photos when I finish. I have the slab poured.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 am

I put this up at my old house but it was actually more of a studio with lighting/power. Dimensions are 12x16

The windows were a compromise (sent the wrong type as they shouldn't have had the frets) but otherwise the building matched the main building structure in construction. Here's a view of the back of the house - note I also put up the small shed on the back to house gardening equipment and supplies:

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 am

I found a Better Homes & Garden Guide to Landscaping book from the early 70s in a used book store. Great book. Tons of modern houses, ranch houses with landscaping to match.

Anyway, there are several photos which would easily qualify for what you are looking for and even some plans to build them. So maybe find something like that or there are always vintage Sunset books.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:24 pm

There was a really cool set of plans / write-up in ReadyMade magazine a few years back. It was actually designed by Blazona and looked like a DIY "lite" version of his commercial products. The materials cost was under $1500.

It's hard to find...but still available and they sell plans:

Also, it seems like it could be modded to add details to match just about any house. I like the amount of glazed area, too.

Last edited by Stephen on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Build it to last.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Lots of great ideas and pics! I'd like to echo the sentiments that a KISS philosophy is really the way to go for a project like this. And some things that still look good and can keep costs down- T1-11 siding in 4/8 or 12" spaced grooves is not only still available at the box stores, but requires no underlying sheathing and is compatible with 24" oc stud spacing. You can also get it in Fir at about twice the cost if you need 9' lengths.

Based on my recent numbers, for pennies more per sq. ft a guy can sheath in OSB and use the (still available as well) masonite hardboard siding. Both are excellent if you stain or paint any exposed edges, especially prior to installation. Unfortunately, the metal corners are NLA corner boards are required.

The cement based replacements are good, but not structural and require some work of their own. (heavy and sometimes brittle)

There's a 3 stall garage around here going on 40 years old I'd wager and still looks great- has a neat trick where 2x4's or 2x6's are sistered to the roof joists and extend past the front wall and are left with an open exposure and continuous board across the ends. The roof decking then starts directly above the front wall. Gotta be tricky to flash to keep the water out. I've seen that on western homes of course, but typically not found here in snow country, or on a garage for that matter.

Also, you CAN go with shingles on less than a 3/12 pitch if you use Grace bituthene Ice & Water first. Accept no substitutes. Pricey, but all fasteners seal upon penetrating and a DIYer can roof the place.

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Came across this shed (?) while surfing during the super bowl. Guess I just liked the simplicity of the tab in slot assembly. I'm sure it was CNC cut. www.greggfleishman.com
Build it to last.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

shed idea

Postby cougarider » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:24 pm

i came across this photo while searching flickr.

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Like the sliding door, sealing out bugs and rain may be a problem. Ok, now the question I've been waiting to bring up. Is it just me or do the rest of you really like these small scale architectural gems. Quick and cheap to build if you do it yourself, small scale lets you go a little wild with color or design without over powering main structure, multitude of uses from storage to studio or extra living space for your mother-in-law. :wink: So much cooler than the sheds at the big box stores.
Build it to last.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”