finally on Flickr

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

finally on Flickr

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I recently uploaded some photos of my Cliff May project. Still have more work to do in the bedrooms and north and east side landscaping, though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35327895@N ... 634507741/

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby post50modern » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:49 pm

What a TREMENDOUS job you have done on the May house! The kitchen is perfect and the landscaping is beautiful! Looks like a labor of love....

jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jakabedy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:06 pm

The place looks beautiful. And I see you have even accessorized with a mid-century dog. Beagles, Dachshunds and Collies just scream 1955 to me!

(I grew up with Beagles -- the most wonderful terrible dogs in existence).
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:14 pm

I tell people our beagle was the inspiration for our living area color scheme (brown, black, and white) :wink:

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Wow...I am impressed. Love the landscaping, Love the original kitchen, Love the fact that someone like you found the place and had the work ethic to make it the showplace that it is. It must feel really good coming home to the place:)

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm

We did not see a stripper pole. But I'm sure you can always hide it away during photo shoots. Your photos are pristine. Can you say you are finished? Your glazing project was our favorite. Just think in another 50 or more years in the future someone might be re glazing those same window frames. Your art will remain a treasure.
UdoMin

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Very nice, Joe. Good to see more recent pictures of your your house, interiors, etc. The details are really nice; it's a really good sensitive renovation job.

You guys did an amazing job with the landscaping... tt looks like it's straight out of an old Sunset book. Just beautiful!

Now, have you convinced your neighbors to drink the Kool-aid yet?

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Dang. Everyone else has already said what I wanted to say.

So...Damn nice job you've done!
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

wondering.....

Postby modfan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Is snow a sometimes occurence, and r u in that part of Oregon where ya might plant some species of palms?
My folks lived in Renton Wa. and they occassionally got snow and I did see some landscaping with palms in it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 am

thanks! I just added 40 more photos detailing many of the projects. I can't believe I finally got these up! I hope to finish are bedrooms and master bath this spring, rest of the land scaping sometime this summer.

The stripper pole comes with the 4000 ft addition :wink:

Snow isn't too prevalent. Maybe a dusting every couple years. It usually melts same day. this one didn't though. I am in Western Oregon, so palms grow well. We considered more of a California landscape plan, but decided to stick with more native plants. We planted 4 japanese maples to compliment the 50+ year old one on our north side. We'll plant 2 more this Spring.

I had never designed a landscape before. Our inspiration came from the Japanese Garden in Portland and the works of Thomas Church and Garrett Eckbo.

Kool-aid is coming along :wink:

I am keeping my eye on the original 5 bed/3bath Cliff May a couple blocks up the street.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 pm

What a fine documentation of the work you've done. A few more photos and it could be a step-by-step online guide to replacing doors and windows. I'm glad to see those So Cal window units found a good home (BTW, it's POmona, not PAmona : )

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:30 pm

what I did with the glass was simple. I am not real skilled when it comes to this kind of work. But cost savings force you to learn, or at least try.

I'll had more description to the photos. Essentially, I popped out the old glass, routed the frame depth down 1/4 inch. inserted the 7/16 double pain glass, sized to each opening. Then cut 1/4 wood stops. Caulked any gaps. Sanded and primed bare wood. painted. Total cost for the glass for both window units (8 sections of glass) was $450. This can be done without removing the wood sashes and completed in a weekend. If you're not handy, someone with skills could complete it in a day.

please note correction is glass unit thickness. I just uploaded some finished photos.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:00 pm

This Old House used a company that does that process. They even did it on divided light double hung windows, preserving the original dividers on the inside and gluing fakes (with the look of glazing compound) on the outside. They had a whole shop set up in a truck. I just replaced all the glass in a pair of doors with tempered glass. That cost about $150. for tempered glass. Now I wish I had just gone for dual glazing. Of course you must have the glass removed to take accurate measurements. I have an extra set of tempered glass that is just a little too big. i hope to be able to use them on a set of doors I can "bench work" Here's a link to the company that did the Belmont house many seasons ago:

http://www.bi-glass.com/window-glass-replacement.php

By the way Joe, the transformation you accomplished is incredible.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:46 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:11 pm

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 am

joe-

beautiful, thoughtful, and meticulous restoration.

i like the fact that you went with the black vinyl tiles. our house in altadena had these tiles originally, but they were tiled over with quarry tile by the previous owner. there is a great a. quincy jones house in l.a. which has the original asbestos vinyl in great condition, and it truly is an amazing look, and very comfortable! your tiles are very close to the originals.

congratulations!
space is the place

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:03 am

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:10 am

space is the place

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 pm

I just uploaded some of my Cliff May archive

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barthlow/s ... 733482316/

or you can get there through http://www.cliffmayhomes.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 am

I saw that house on the MAK tour of Crestwood Hills. It is my opinion that that tile in particular is rubber. I lived in a house once that had a kitchen addition done in the 50's that had a red version. The look, when polished, is the same. It's the walk on feel that makes the difference. Also it's condition. Rubber had not been available during the war, so it was considered a luxury. It, unlike VCT or VAT tends to stay polished. It was used in offices and medical buildings because it was (is) not only long wearing, but quite silent when walked on. I wanted to use it but could not afford it. So I have the same black VCT Joe does.

Joe, I am so jealous of the original books and mags you have. You really should contact UCSB and make sure they have everything you do. (they have a Getty grant to catalogue everything) I want pdf scans of most of it. I just have the Western Ranch House book from the 40's. You should have come down for the tour of the May neighborhood the Gamble house did in conjunction with a Daniel Gregory lecture.

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:52 pm

What a spectacular restoration.
Congratulation. :cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:34 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 am

Joe:

Great pics of the house. Thanks for adding your Cliff May collection. And thanks for making me a contact.

I have a few other Flickr contacts from this board. Perks, Udo Min and Spins LPs come to mind. Anyone else on Flickr and Lotta Living. If so add Joe and me to your contacts list!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moderns-r-us/

I could not find another official Flickr thread. Should we make this the "offiical" Flickr thread.

Post your Flickr page address here!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 am

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”