help and ideas needed..w/pics

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
reverb2000
Modern Socialite

help and ideas needed..w/pics

Postby reverb2000 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:55 pm

I removed a brick wall, at the front of the house, that was crumbling and couldnt be repaired. Now I am at a loss at what to do to provide some sort of barrier between the fireplace brick and the front yard..was thinking of 12in high 6 ft long planters (2) out of redwood to place some sort of tall plant (horsetail?). I have to have something with the way the brick and concrete is finished on the edge. I have no imagination, so any suggestions to get the ideas coming would be great. thanks in advance. If I am not clear, please ask...I was recently told my emails are too short and lack detail.

txmod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby txmod » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:35 pm

First off, you also need to share some interior and back side pics, especially considering the contrast.

I wish I had better photographic examples, but I would use some kind of horizontal slat fencing. I would also pair it with a cleaner lined front door.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

fence

Postby cougarider » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm

before

after
I wanted to add some more length to the front. I then added some african iris grass. The fence is about 5 1/2 ft tall.

Lighting also helps. When you're done I would up-light the brick on the fireplace.

here's a shot of my cleared back yard. I'll be working on it for the rest of the month. Sod will likely go in a few weeks when it is greener. HGC has some but is looks very dry. They said in 2 more weeks it should be healthier.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:58 pm

is this the main entry to the home?

I am not digging the two different bricks between the facade and the fireplace. post some photos closer to the area. it's hard to tell what your are trying to accomplish

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 am

cougarider: the square pavers... cast in place or pre-cast? if precast... source? thanks... we're tackling the landscaping soon.

reverb2000: to echo the above point, some context would be good. since you're here, i'll assume you're more a fan of the modern style and less of the stable-style. that said, removal of the steeple + a re-roof in a darker color / changeout of the door / removal of the brick "frame" on the bumpout of the house / paint scheme that evokes some mid-range color and tonal contrast / installation of a larger series of windows on both bumpouts, if appropriate to the interior spaces... do a quick search for STL's landscaping plan... it's a nice one.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 am

I disagree with trying to make this house what it is not. In the end it will not work and look as silly as trying to make a truely modern house more traditional. We have had some horrific examples of that posted around here over the years. You will be most successful just going with what your house is. The visual problem I see is the little window in the gable end. If I could not enlarge that window, I'd put shutters on each side. It sure needs landscaping, but a sparse modernist scheme will not work here. A traditional english garden would work best. That can be accomplished with natives if low water/low care is desired. By the way, Horsetail must be confined like bamboo. If you plant it without a barrier, it will come up all over your yard.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:08 am

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... c&start=30
here are some addl pics...I realize the house isnt an Eichler, but a compromise between me and my wife. She doesnt care for the low roof lines. This was a traditional house with a MCM 'feel' addition added on. So the back walls are all glass, almost flat roof and shaped like a large C. Front is what it is..just trying to add some style to it. If this isnt your style, then dont respone and I will move on.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:35 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:01 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”