Just bought a SCHOLZ California Contemporary in Ohio PICTS

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

Just bought a SCHOLZ California Contemporary in Ohio PICTS

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Just thought I would post a few picts real quick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scholzmcm/

I actually have original blueprint for a similar model inside and out as well as the original salesman's catalog with business card in it. The house is located in Kettering Ohio.

I am now addicted to this forum, what a wealth of knowledge!

Ryan[/img]
Scholz Designed MCM California Contemporary Ranch, in OHIO.
Bought from original owner.
Still has the funky lights.

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Great looking house. Are you already moved in?

I've been through Kettering several times and never have guessed a gem like this existed there.

Cheers,

-Barrett
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

Thanks-

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:40 pm

I actually just checked out your blog yesterday, you did a great job on a sweet house.

We are moved in and have already started a few projects, mostly livability related like adding R-60 insulation and some other maint. items. I may put together a blog like yours when things slow down a little.

Ryan

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:20 pm

looks just the the ads. nice find. looks like there are a lot of original details.

how is this home heated? what year was it built?

R-60 insulation? How and where?

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Re: Thanks-

Postby BAZ_MCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:30 pm

Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm

attic... OK so only your living area has cathedral ceilings. makes sense.

cork is good. not so sure about slate. The black VCT is fine. I think I would consider the lighter colored VCT like what LL member "classic form" has in his Nelson designed home in Michigan:

Your home was pretty popular back in the day. I have several ads for it. Scholz was a huge mid-west prefabber. they make mcmansions today!

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 pm

I love the courtyard. Wow. Color me jealous.
Allison

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm

SWEET! One of my favorite houses I've seen yet. They have so much character and style over any Eichler (no offense Eichler dwellers!). I call them the "East Coast Cliff May" I almost purchased a California Contemporary in Pa last year. It was a modified floorplan Scholz CC over a full basement. The total sq.ft. was about 3200 with the lower level (Hillside model). There are only about 5 of them in the Pittsburgh area that I know of. The unique feature was the aluminum Overly roof that cost $60,000 back in 1962 and was still perfect. The original owner was VP of Overly roofing. Some tool bought the house and strung white LED lights all over it and leaves them on year round and also mount obnoxious mercury vapor lights on it. I have all of the original Scholz CC color brochures and sales material if you need anything scanned. Do you know which version of the CC you have?

Here's a Scholz CC for sale near me:
http://www.prudentialpreferred.com/prop ... MLS=761392
For some reason, the rest of the pics are missing. This house is clean!
There's also a Mark58 that will be for sale around here very soon. It's an older couple that owned the house since new and it was mentioned in House & Home in 1959. We toured another Mark 58 last year, but it had structural problems and wasn't worth what they were asking. Someone purchased it and is doing a nice job with it currently.

I'll post pics of the one I was gonna buy.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35210795@N04/

The first 8 1/2 pages are of the Scholz CC

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Last edited by Joe on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:56 am

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:38 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Yup

Postby modfan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:38 am

Last edited by Joe on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 am

Last edited by Joe on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 am

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:06 am

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am

I'd like to see a photo from the other side of this glass, defusing the lights

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments, We are looking forward to working through some restoration/improvements projects with help form this board.

Joe, we do love that lighter color VCT you posted, I will search the forum to learn a little more about it. How is it acoustically? The space is rather large. We recently ripped out the carpet and it echos quite a bit. The house is on a slab btw.

Thanks for posting the picts turboblown I plan to reference them frequently. I may post some more pictures soon and maybe you could help me determine the model, you seem to know quite a bit about them!

Modfan- Scholz was an engineer first. He was also father of Tom Scholz, the band Boston's founder and main guy??

I may get some more pictures up tomorrow as I have the day off.

Ryan

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Tom Sholz...sound engineer if I remember correctly, guitar player for Boston, designer of the "rockman" portable headphone guitar amp that has a fuzz on it that made you sound like the "Boston guitar sound".
Last edited by classic form on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I, PERSONALLY don't see what all the Eichler hype is about. Yes, they are very cool houses, but they were produced for a specific purpose and did it rather well. They still were designed as inexpensive housing and there are exceptions to that, as stated by people with more expensive models, but they were still designed as inexpensive houses at the time. It just seems that some folks are so brainwashed by these houses that they don't realize anything else even exists. I would live in one in a heartbeat if there were one in Pittsburgh and didn't cost $700,000 like in SoCal. I've never been in a Cliff May or an Eichler, but from the thousands of pictures and many floorplans I've seen, I'd say the Cliff May offer much more house and has more class and is what I would want if given a choice. The Eichler is definitely more "modern" and should be one of the three pictures next to the definition of "Midcentury Modern." Just as the California crowd has never been in a Scholz or any of the other east coast designs, most of out here have never been in the west coast homes, which I hope to one day get to step into an Eichler in person. I envy the open design and the amount of glass in the Eichler, but it is impractical in the northeast, as we'd have a $700 a month heating bill! This is why Fallingwater (40 minutes from me) is totally impractical and is another overrated structure. Yeah, it's cool, but no thanks. But we have something in the NE that many other areas don't have- a very large lower level gameroom that doubles the sq.ft. area of the home since the slab home isn't really that popular around here. That's why I have 3000+ sq.ft. in my ranch which some would say is useless, impractical, environmentally-incorrect or whatever term due to its size. I can go into may game room in the winter or summer and it's alway about 60 degrees. I never need AC on and rarely use my heat in the winter down there. What you like depends a lot on where you are at. The west coast crowd probably wouldn't like the CC model or even my own ranch, since 90% of the house isn't glass, but that's fine....I'll go outside and take a stroll on my nice flat grass-covered 2.6 acres or go in my 80x110 garden (hey...I have room to put an Eichler in my garden! Anyone wanna move one to Pa? Then we'd both be the envy of the neighborhood. Just don't think of touching my firewood pile to try to heat that thing!)

Back to the Scholz CC.....like I said, these houses have many features that are found in many of the other famous architectural houses from around the country...and Donald Scholz WAS an architect unlike other builders, as his son is today in Phoenix with their upscale home building business. As stated earlier about their new houses, I wouldn't quite call them McMansions. A McMansion is a cheaply built POS house that is worth 1/4 of what it sells for. The Scholz Design homes that are sold today range up to $50+ million dollars and have been purchased by some very prominent individuals around the world and are built with the best that money can buy.

The Scholz' of the 50s up the the early 70s were not all prefab homes. Many of the lower-line homes were prefab, but even any of these that were modified were built on site with little or no prefab. The CC model we looked at was not a prefab, as it had quite a number of modifications from the design on paper. This was verified when I tracked down the original owners during negitiations. The terracotta Roman brick was near $5000 back then. The CC model was the best of the best "MCM" type houses they offered. The still almost perfect redwood beams on the one we looked at were brought in from the west coast, which is part of the reason the house cost almost $70,000 back in 1962 (that price didn't include the $60,000 Overly roof which was installed by the homeowner's company)

Having one of these houses on the east coast is like having an Eichler if you're in Cali. They're very different from one another, but we all would like both of them.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:35 pm

And yes, Tom Scholz designed and patented the Rockman and is responsibe for that unique "Boston sound". They're all over eBay. He also has several engineering degrees. When younger, he would work as a laborer at times for dad's business. It's possible that your house could have had work done by Boston's guitarist.

There is still one guy at Scholz Design that was around in the 60s. I can't remember his name, but he's more than glad to speak with you about the past if you call. They don't have any blueprints, plans or anything from when they sold the orgininal company in I think 1973.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:25 pm

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks for the input on the VCT, we actually have a little of the original VCT flooring in the laundry room so I do know what you mean. It is starting to come up and is relatively brittle. I am curious if I should get it tested before I tear it out as I have heard asbestos is a possibility. If so, are the mail away kits the best way?

With respect to everyone's preferences on which their favorite designer, could we please get away from this. My appreciation for the great variety of homes (mainly on the west coast) from Eichler's to May's..... peaked my interest in living in an MCM home. In Ohio, modern houses are few and far between. I found a Scholz and I really love it, it is very unique in my neighborhood.

I was born in Edwards AFB, CA and lived in there until I was 7. I am actually very excited to be vacationing in California in April to see some of the amazing neighborhoods. I bet I will take a thousand pictures!

I am sure that turboblown would agree that we are just jealous that you Eichler and May owners in California had all your doors and windows open this week. And used your patios.

I can't wait for Spring and my trip to the golden state!

Ryan

ch

Postby ch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 am

As one who HAS lived on both coasts I would say that there are plenty of great moderns on each of them to go around. It's easy to look at the books and conclude that Southern California is composed exclusively of great modern houses but a quick drive around will show ample missed opportunities. Likewise, it's easy to think that the East is all colonial or traditional and made of brick. Of course that's not true either.

What I don't agree on criticizing one to build up the other. The Scholtz home above is gorgeous and that patio looks incredible whether you can sit out there for 12 months or 6. In the depths of winter I dream of my former glass house in the Hollywood Hills. Come Fall or Spring, when the entire world seems to be changing around me, I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than New England. :D

SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan

ADDED SOME NEW PICTURES

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 pm

ADDED SOME NEW PICTURES, NOW 30 OF THEM!

http://flickr.com/photos/scholzmcm/sets ... 402813698/

RYAN

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”