MCM type of grass

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM type of grass

Postby Tim Young » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:37 pm

It seems like a lot of MCM houses have a different type of grass - thicker and shorter, almost like grass from a putting green. Am I crazy? Is it just cut shorter? If not, what kind of grass is that?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:09 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:53 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 am

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 am

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:47 am

I guess you mean this type, right? This grass type grows very thin and short, and it has to be re-seeded every year. Also, as you can see, it's not dog-resistant ;-)
Last edited by Miguel on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the leads guys. I haven't been able to research all of the suggestions yet, but I think so far the closest to what I have in mind are the bermuda hybrid sods. We live close to a golf course, and I was thinking short, thick, and like a putting green. I've been to the Empire Polo Fields in Coachella, CA (for the Coachella music festival) and really liked the grounds there as well. I'm definitely interested in something that is CA native as I want to redo my landscaping in native plants and I also definitely like the idea of drought resistant. I've also toyed with the idea of just taking out the lawn and doing rock or something to save water. But I think I need some sort of lawn for my kids. I think the sod stuff may work well. But like I said, I still need to research everything everyone's suggested.

Home boy, thanks for the compliments on my house! I actually knew very little about it until recently. There are somewhat similar homes in my area, but nothing exactly like it. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Redlands, but I just discovered an MCM tract around the corner from me. In searching for info about my house, I went to the Redlands permit shop where permits on homes can be accessed by the general public. I had recently driven around looking for similar homes and decided to look them up as well. Apparently that tract was built by Citation Construction. I don't know who they are but I'm planning to try to find out. There are some really cool homes there. My wife and I recently took a trip out to Palm Springs and saw a bunch of great houses, but I was surprised to find a group of similar ones right in my backyard. But my house isn't part of that tract so that really didn't help me find out about mine. As far as my house goes, I've actually recently located the original builder and am in the process of trying to get ahold of him. I'm planning on posting about it in a separate thread once I find out more.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 pm

The above pictured turf is not St. Augustine. That looks like a rye grass. rye grasses come in either perennial or annual. Perennial ryes are what you see everywhere. Tall blades (that can be cut shorter) Marathon is a brand name of a hybrid sold as sod. Annual ryes are what need to be re-seeded every year. They are traditionally used to over seed a warm season lawn that tends to turn brown in the winter. (my neighbor did this this year to their hybrid bermuda and I have been picking sprouts of it out of my flower beds all winter) :roll:

Bermuda and St. Augustine spread by rhizomes underground and by stolons on the surface. Only common Bermuda seeds. It should be avoided at all costs. If any neighbors have it, you will be fighting it in any case. St. Augustine is very draught tolerant. I have barely watered mine. It can spread so fast that I should not have purchased it as sod. One or two "flats" from Home Depot would have covered my park strip (the only lawn I have) really quick. I would be very careful not to plant either grass in an area that did not have a barrier. If one wants a lawn next to a flower bed without edging, the perennial ryes are a better bet.

Almost no grass will tolerate urine from a female dog.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Given CA's ongoing water shortage -- less snow pack this winter -- and the growing influence of "green" thinking, I think anyone considering a lawn of whatever type grass should be encouraged to think again.

LoL discussed a range of alternatives in this thread

scowsa

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Well, Redlands.....
Hot a lot of the year. Full sun? Shade?
And then there's the control issue, like some grasses creeping into flower beds. If you can limit the area, then you could use a really cool fine hybrid bermuda. I'd spend some time checking out what your neighbors have, talking to a real nursery, and checking the websites of sod growers.
Google: sod california

Do you intend to install and care for the lawn yourself?
That will also effect your choice. Hybrid bermuda requires a reel type mower and clippings should not be left. That golf green look is work!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”