Landscaping/Exterior help and opinions needed

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
comodern
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Landscaping/Exterior help and opinions needed

Postby comodern » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 pm

We have finally decided to tackle the exterior after two years on the interior. We are definetely on an extremely tight budget, but I would like to make some small improvements. We currently have some vinyl siding on our home, that is the red that you see in the pictures. I am not sure I want to tackle painting it, but taking it down at this point in time is not an option. We just wouldn't have the money to fix any potential issues that are underneath...at least not this spring and summer.
I am looking for paint ideas and suggestions. As well as any changes you might suggest for the landscaping....since there really hasn't been any changes to that since 1958. I am just trying to make maximum improvements on minimum funds. What does anyone suggest?

These are all old pictures, mostly from before we moved in, so no that is not our swing or papers all over the driveway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/broomfield ... 530361916/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:44 pm

where is the vinyl? from what I can see, at least facing the street, looks paintable. regardless, thin groove t-111 wood siding really doesn't cost too much and you can install it yourself. Painting is easy. go to Home Depot and look at the "how-to" books. take your time and do a good job on prepping it. goes a long ways towards a good paint job.

on a tight budget, you don't have to do the entire exterior at once. My wife and I took parts of three summers to hand paint our house. we focused on the street-side first. your house has lines and exposed beams similar to an Alexander and Eichler. I would look towards similar paint schemes. single body color, contrasting beams and fascia.

you can do the same with your landscape, but develop a comprehensive plan for your whole lot. I see you have some decent mature shrubs. properly trim them. they look like something you can shape.

I am not a big fan of grass. river rock is pretty cheap. In your plan, I would consider hardscapes first since you have some useable shrubs. after that, in a future phase, look towards some complimentary drought tolerant plants.

Plan first, on paper. implement in logical phases you can afford. give yourself some time. projects always cost twice as much and take twice as long :wink:

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:04 pm

I agree. Looking at the house, I can immediately suggest a simple painted improvement that will add a little sex appeal, regardless of what other
painting is done: on the back wall of the carport, scribe a horizontal line at the height of the adjacent door (and the height of the glass line on the right
side of the house) -- and paint above that line to the underside of the roof, with flat black. This triangle graphic will "read" from the street as another
glass area like the one on the right, and extend a continuous wall line along the whole width of the house.

Best of luck with your project(s), and thanks for sharing the house with us !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

comodern
Modern Fan

Postby comodern » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Nice house. My approach would to selectively remove some of the overgrown bushes, especially the one in the foreground in front of the red wall and trimming larger bushes, also pruning lower branches of the tree would open up the front of the house. One of the cheapest but most dramatic changes you can do is add a pop of color by painting the front door to contrast with the house. Cobalt blue, purple? :? Light fixture could also use a dash of color to show up in the daylight hours, I'm sure it has lots of personality at night. I think everyone is confused because vinyl siding is traditionally horizontal and yours is vertical. If its wood or cement board no problem to paint, vinyl in Denver's temperature extremes I wouldn't paint.
Build it to last.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 pm

replacing the street side vinyl with t-111 plywood siding would not cost much at all. it doesn't take much skill either. totally DIY.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”