Your most authentic-MCM-looking Ikea kitchen.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Your most authentic-MCM-looking Ikea kitchen.

Postby BAZ_MCM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:33 pm

Was just reading the laminate cabinet post started by Sleazy G: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14073

Luka referenced several people on the board have used Ikea cabinets. This got me thinking. It would be good to see a thread of all the MCM Ikea kitchens in one place. Please post your most authentic-MCM-looking Ikea kitchen pics here.

This will be a reference to all those people who ask the, "can Ikea look MCM?" question.

Cheers,

-Baz.
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:36 pm

good, modern design can be timeless. If you are familiar with old shelter magazines and some of the books published in the last fews years on Mid-century Modernism you'll know it's possible to install an Ikea kitchen to work in the same timeless manner. it's usually the counter tops and appliances that date a kitchen. today, it's all about granite and oversized commercial-grade appliances.

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:04 pm

This request assumes that folks referencing Ikea kitchens have been concerned about having a new, "MCM looking" kitchen and I cannot recall that coming up.

There was an interesting discussion a while back on what kind of kitchen remodel would be best in a Palm Springs Alexander in order to achieve an MCM look and SDR, amongst others, had some interesting thoughts on this.

Also, Robb Houston did renew his kitchen in a way that retained the MCM look, as in this thread

but he kept his original cabinet boxes.

If you look back at most of the Ikea discussions they concern overall kitchen remodeling and whether Ikea is a good source for a quality modern kitchen. In most folks' eyes a modern kitchen seems to mean slab, not paneled doors -- which may be true of the original kitchen in many MCMs -- but these days slab doors tend to be thicker and mounted with European style hinges, creating a different look.
scowsa

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 pm

the only Ikea in my kitchen are the cutting boards, spice rack, and tool bar :wink:

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 am

My quandary?
I have a sink wall that is 90"
I have a 24" Bosch dishwasher (integrated even!) that will not fit to the side
because the existing, original sink cabinet is 44" wide. To replace the cabinets, I need a 27" cabinet for the side opposite the dishwasher. The ideal is: 27" 36" 24" (dw) 3" fill
Ikea does not make a 27" cabinet.

Egads,

On our Ikea kitchen, they used stock end panels and cut them down to basically make a finished 5 inch opening, which we use to store baking sheets and things like that. So if you could push everything down a little bit and use a 24 inch cabinet instead of a 27, you could minimize the 3 inch filler and create a space for something using the Ikea paneling in a creative way.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 am

here's our kitchen...all ikea (nexus yellow brown with ikea stainless handles) and we like it quite a lot. we had to get "inventive" with some elements and plan very well, but it's working wonderfully. . we went a bit overboard on construction with glued joints, glued/screwed feet, glued/screwed frame-to-frame (lots of liquid nails) and better fasteners where available (i.e.: pneumatic staple for the back panels)... we hope the attention was worth it. we also caulked the base seams in cabs that might see moisture to protect the MDF/partleboard. we spent about $5K on cab parts, $8K on appliances/fixtures and $2k for countertops... i had considered making the drawer faces/doors from a luan-like ply, but edgebanding all these would be a nightmare and the ikea pieces are actually finished quite well with a satin pre-cat lacquer (which i couldn't have done). plus it was way cheaper and exponentially easier... and ultimately, i think the finish is better (better than what i could have done without a spray booth and automatic edgebander). the nexus styles have an oak base, so where i did need to edgeband a raw particleboard edge, i could, then stain to match and rattle-can lacquer (satin deft).

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 am

egads... on the 27in cabinet. you could pretty easily modify a stock 30in cabinet to work... simply cut 3in off the top/bottom plates, then poly-glue/screw from the exterior -- you'd not see the joinery once the tops go on. i had to do some heavy modification to ... this is, of course, taking for granted that you're using a slab door -- of which you could re-create the edge-banded edge (which is pretty easy with the nexus line)... but ultimately, going with a 24in and a wide filler might be best.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 am

Well, perhaps I can do a little tweaking of the left side. The sink does need to remain centered. I want to keep the original uppers. Maybe some combination of a trash unit and a custom open end. I wonder how hard it would be to cut down 30" drawer unit?

Anyway, I want to congratulate redneckmodern on the choice of hardware.
It shows off the kitchen by not showing off.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:47 am

egads, shoot me some photos or post some up and I'll take a look

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:51 am

"Architecture as craft, not merely a container."

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Egads kitchen

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:20 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:15 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:06 pm

In this crappy economy, I'm the custom worker. What I need from you Joe is the formula for getting new birch to look old. And red birch?

In any case, here is the old thread that has pictures of my house:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4443

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 pm

here's a link to the photos of what we did with ikea cabinets in our 1955 post and beam. bottom cabinets were trashed, but we were able to keep the original uppers. i've been really happy with the ikea cabinets. we bought extra door and drawer fronts for replacing later on down the road, although they are holding up really well after almost 3 years. i'm glad we did, since this color was discontinued not long after we installed everything.
http://homepage.mac.com/siobhanmarie/PhotoAlbum5.html

sdmod
Modern Master

Re: Your most authentic-MCM-looking Ikea kitchen.

Postby sdmod » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 am

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Re: Your most authentic-MCM-looking Ikea kitchen.

Postby eggMCMuffin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:50 pm

[/quote]
But to answer the question “can Ikea look MCM" no...not at all. This of course is very different than the question "can Ikea look modern".[/quote]

That's a really interesting point. There seem to be three types of remodelling efforts undertaken/inflicted on MCMs. (1) Enthusiasts engaging in a restoration, (2) Modernists who like and know about MCM, but are going to make changes with a lesser emphasis on keeping the home original, and (3) "other". While category (3) often creates any number of disasterous results that have been well documented in other LottaLiving posts, I've seen a lot of very nice results come from homeowners in both category (1) and (2). As a result, I think your assessment is correct that IKEA kitchens can look modern (and I would add appropriate) in an MCM, but they're not going to look "period". With this in mind, the suitability of an IKEA kitchen really is going to depend on the home owner and their goals for the project.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Lets face it, in 1950, middle class houses did not have drawers with steel drawer glides. Having drawers that work fuels my desire to remodel more than anything. My 1954 kitchen is completely original. To the point that I feel guilty touching it. Until I try to cook in it. I will save the cabinets and install them in the garage. But I doubt anyone in the future will be putting them back.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:01 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”