staining eichler ceiling and eaves

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hortonhw
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

staining eichler ceiling and eaves

Postby hortonhw » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:47 pm

i've searched prior posts but didn't get the info i was looking for so here goes.

our ceiling and eaves have never been re-stained or painted, thankfully, but because the eaves have become so weathered, i can't stand to look at them any longer.

i have already sanded most of the eaves and am now about to purchase stain to do some test areas to find the best color match to the interior. should exterior stain be oil based and interior water based?

should the stain be a solid or semi-solid?

i was hoping to avoid re-staining the interior, but it seems that there are enough areas that need retouching and a couple of rooms that need a complete new coat, that i am sure i will be re-staining the interior as well, but would prefer to use a thinned version of the exterior stain as it will be applied to pre-existing stain in the majority of the interior.

anything that i am missing in this process?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 pm

not a lot of discussion on stain for Eichler ceilings. you might search the Eichler Network board

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:03 pm

It would be helpful to know what you are starting out with.

We have been gradually working on stripping about 5 layers of paint from the ceiling and soffit (cedar decking/fir beams). Results are good but not clean enough for a transparent or semi-transparent finish. We are using Sherwin Williams Woodscapes solid stain inside and out. It's water based and easy to apply and clean up. It also does a good job of trapping and sealing in the tannins from the cedar.

hortonhw
Modern Fan

Postby hortonhw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 pm

the eichler network does address this issue rather extensively. oddly, i had tried to research there yesterday before posting but they must have been having tech issues and i couldn't access any of the posts.

our ceilings and eaves have original stain. the outside was the worst with discoloration, so those i had to sand and start from scratch. my biggest issue was matching to the interior, which is in acceptable condition except for a couple of bedrooms that i think i will end up sanding and re-staining.

lots of good info on eichler network. seems like trying to do a light coat over existing stain to try to get it uniform is not going to work so i think i'll just focus on the problem areas and getting a good match with the exterior stain

i'm going to contact the cabot stain people and make sure i'm not missing anything.

Baja LJ Builder
Modern Groupie

Postby Baja LJ Builder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Imho, TWP 500 series is the best exterior product you can get. As long as you add even a little bit of tint, the uv resistance is excellent. It is transparent otherwise, and takes a very long time to dry giving the oils plenty of time to penetrate. you want to put it on very dry and stretch it out to avoid excess. Excess = glossy sheen.The 500 series would certainly be problematic for high use interior surfaces, but for exterior, I believe its the best.If the bare wood has a nice character, a transparent stain will bring out the beauty.
if you find you need to do some patching with filler, you may just want to use paint.In which case H20 base paint performs wonderfully on exteriors and is much less hazardous to work with. Fiber Saver Coatings or FSC in San Diego carries TWP as well as Amteco (EXPENSIVE), products. Be ready for a lot of information though, they know there stuff.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”