removing tile from stone

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vanderwaal
Modern Fan

removing tile from stone

Postby vanderwaal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:53 am

hi. i'm new here.

just bought an MCM in west monroe, louisiana. my wife and i are in the process of restoring it but it's gonna be a long journey. we don't have much money but we love the house, the architecture, everything... except the way the house has been treated through out the years. it has been owned by many people over the years and it seems that each one has tried their best to destroy the house's character.

but i digress, i noticed this morning that the nasty pink tile in the bathroom may have been installed over natural stone. is this a common occurrence and if so is there any way to get the tile off without destroying the stone underneath? we really want to preserve, as much as possible, the originallity of the house. any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'll post more pictures of the exterior and interior when i take a few. and yes, it currently suffers from white-sidingitis but we plan to fix that... eventually.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 am

Welcome to the board-and great looking house. Some pics of the tile/stone would likely help out.

I don't really know anything about removing tile from stone.......but there should be a way to do it that keeps the stone intact. I believe it will be a messy job, no matter how you go about it.

For some reason sand/bead blasting is coming to mind (once tiles themselves are removed carefully by hand) but I'm likely WAY off base.

vanderwaal
Modern Fan

Postby vanderwaal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 am

yeah, i'm gonna try to pull a few tiles off this afternoon and see what it looks like. i'll take some pictures of the process.

like you, i'm afraid it's gonna end up being a piece by piece process. i dread that but if that's what it takes, that's what i'll do.

if you like mid-century modern design at all you'd be disgusted at what the prior owners have done to the interior. paint over wallpaper over fabric over more paint, big, honkin' drywall screws screwed into the overhead beams to hang baskets from... baskets for ----- sake, they painted the interior brick, they laid god awful linoleum everywhere, hung carriage lights on the exterior, put siding up over the original deep eaves... the further into this project i get the more disgusted i get. if they wanted a victorian, they shoulda bought a victorian. leave the mid-century classics to those of us who can appreciate them. it's turned into a labor of love. i'm determined to right the wrongs done to this house. i'll be broke (hell, i'm broke now) but i'll be happy and i'll have the satisfaction of knowing that i reversed the hatchet job that previous owners subjected MY house to.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby babyblue65bird » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Vanerwaal, you're awesome.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Vanderwaal. Best of luck to you... your comments sound remarkably similar to what I was thinking two years ago when we bought and started uncovering. You should start a blog, or at least take as many pictures along the way as you can. They are really fun and frightening to look back on. The further you get the more priceless the "before" and "during" pictures become.

If you're anything like me, a clawbar, bondo, and peel-away 6 are going to become very close friends of yours.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:18 am

Great house! We are in the same boat as you - we live in a post and beam MCM that was made "contemporary via Home Depot" by the previous owners. I guess before they left their mark it was pretty much original :roll: WHY would you drywall the beams?

I'll be looking forward to your pictures. Un-Remodelers Unite!
Allison

vanderwaal
Modern Fan

Postby vanderwaal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:28 am

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 pm

If the tiles are not stuck on too well, you may be able to pry them off. If not, you could try using a circular saw and a diamond blade to cut them into smaller pieces that you could then attack at an angle with a hammer and a heavy duty 4" scraper and pop them off. Make sure the saw blade is not set deeper than the thickness of the tile. I would not use a hammer straight on or you will likely break the stone.

Sounds like a nasty GG (glove and goggle) job. I just made that up--for you.

Good luck!

velcrobomb
Modern Groupie

Postby velcrobomb » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi. This is my first post here and it really caught my interest.

The tiles themselves won't be too tough to get up. The problem you'll run into is the thinset mortar underneath that is used to adhere the tiles to the flooring, backerboard, etc.. It's going to be like a coat of cement over the stone. Some of it will come off easily and some will be very difficult.

You'll find out very soon if the stone underneath can withstand chipping from the abuse that you put it through. If it's a softer stone like slate, you're going to be doing some very tedious work.

I would recommend that you use something sharper for the thinset like a stiff putty knife or a paint scraper. The blunter the object, the more likely it will chip the surface of the stone.

I don't recommend any power tools to begin with. If you use a saw or a grinder, you'll polish the stone or just chip it more.

How much square footage are we talking about?

vanderwaal
Modern Fan

Postby vanderwaal » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”