Front door

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
turboblown
Modern Master

Front door

Postby turboblown » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:04 pm

We are getting ready to redo the front door. The disgusting trim will come off, as will the Victorian mechanism.

We're installing center-mounted knobs with starbust escutcheons and the doors will be painted a yet undecided orange and need some opinions.

Should the door frame also be done in orange or leave it white?
Any suggestions on what orange will go with the stone?

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 pm

I'd like for the frame to dissappear - either as a neutral color that matches the block or painted the same color as the door. I would not like the white outline - just my honest opinion.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 am

Indeed, the right butterbrickle color could be useful adjacent to that stone in several places. The window to the right for one.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 am

I don't know. That door is original and quite reflective of the period. Your house was built in the early-mid '60s, when decoration began to creep in. I might leave it. It's not colonial, it's '60s, almost Hollywood Regency-like.

limit your colors. you want to stay away from separate trim colors. in this case, for your front doors, paint the jam the same color as the door. If you add a separate trim color, then you're stuck in a three color scheme with the bricks.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

I'm kind of with Joe on this one. I'd paint what you have, change out the hardware and see how it feels.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 am

I have a feeling he already has the center knob hardware. I would remove the molding myself. Without a close up of the door handle, it's hard to assess. It may be worth putting on craig's list or sending to a Habitat re-store. Drilling for the center knob will be a challenge. One may wish to rent or borrow a jig.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 pm

I would agree with Joe and Classic Form. The molding on the door won't look as bad once the door is a "muted" orange color. I'm not sure about a center bore knob. Patching the existing hardware hole and making it look good might be tricky. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Dan

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 pm

there have been a lot a cool things I wanted to do to my house, but didn't. Live in it a while, study shelter magazines from the period, take your time. There have been plenty of things I did I regret too, mostly because I was in a hurry.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Okay, so I've concluded the door frame will be the same color as the door.
I do have the new hardware and look forward to the challenge of installing the center knobs and escutcheons. I'm almost done fabricating the 16" offset mechanism. Ya think those center knobs will look okay with the mouldings left in place? Would the mouldings be the same color as the door or something different to look right in this setting?

If all else fails, smooth with center knobs will look good.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:40 pm

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm all for embracing the 60's mod/ hollywood regency aspect of the door. I'd paint the doors orange and the trim and central decorations white. Think Dorothy Draper chest:

If you don't like it, just cover it with the same orange later

cougarider
Modern Socialite

center door knobs

Postby cougarider » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm having a new door installed in the next few weeks and I've been looking at having a center pull door knob as well. Where did you find one and how difficult would they be to install?

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Polite and Cordial

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am

leave moldings the same color as door. no need for them to standout even more.

I thought you had old brochures on this house? what do they show?

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 am

yes keep the molding it rocks my face!, paint the door one color, keep it simple

if you don't want to keep the molding I would suggest removing both doors and selling them to someone who would like the molding as there are plenty of them out there.
Shane Hood
Lortondale
Tulsa, Oklahoma
lortondale.com
oneoneth.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”