Please help me decide colors for my Ranch Remodel Exterior

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DamonBoost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Please help me decide colors for my Ranch Remodel Exterior

Postby DamonBoost » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I really need some help/input on the choices we have come up with possible exterior color decisions. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say, like/dislike. If you guys have any ideas for some colors and swatches let me know and I will post them up. Thanks in advance!

If interested, you can follow our entire remodel project here: www.ourmodernhouse.blogspot.com

Some quick notes concerning the renderings:
-The horizontal siding will be Hardie
-The gray large square siding around the upper level window fir out and the door on the deck fir out is SIL-LEED cement fiber panels (www.cbf11.com)
-The wood cladding on the front addition (with the rooftop deck) is cedar
-The brick will be painted the colors in the renderings.
-The door color is not set in stone with each option. It is one of the door colors I like and thought it would look good with the particular mixture of colors.

The first picture is the most accurate one with the porch extending out further on the right side, the others were taken before that was decided. Everything else is the same.

This picture says "Original" as it was our first color swatch we put together. It was our first decision before I decided I should come up with some other swatches to see if we would like anything better.

Here are the rest:

Cant wait to hear back from you guys!!
::damon::

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 am

Of all the options you present, I like #2 the best. That said, some pictures of the house (not just renderings) could be useful. Also, has the brick already been painted? If it has not, what color is it. I always prefer exterior brick unpainted-but if its been painted before, I guess all bets are off.

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am

These are 2 of the best and most recent pictures from our blog.

The brick is I would say maybe a peachy orange-ish color. Not flattering IMHO at all. 99% of the time I am supportive of leaving the brick alone and not painting it but the color of the brick on my house definitely didn't fit with any of the color schemes we like.

This is probably the best picture showing the true color of the brick

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:00 am

#2 & #6

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:38 am

A couple comments...

First off let me say I love the color black. I like black t-shirts, my black iPhone, black trim on my cars in lieu of chrome, etc.

However, I discovered that black pretty much looks terrible on the exterior of houses except in very small dosages. I made this revelation when painting my main beams. I was so excited but when I got the paint up there I knew it right away -- it just looked wrong -- way too severe and distracting. I ended up going with a super-dark brown which worked 100x better.

Regarding your brick, color schemes, and materials...

I agree on the trying to save unpainted brick. Natural texture is expensive to recreate later. I've heard of (but never seen it) of mixing a glaze and paint to essentially create a semi-transparent stain for the brick. I don't know if that would work for you but if mixed carefully, I bet you could nudge the brick towards a more natural hue and eliminate the pinky-peach.

To be perfectly frank, I'm not really excited about any of your color schemes. I took a long look and I think I've figured out why. You have a lot of different materials, colors, and textures going on. This gives the impression (to me, at least) that you went through your scrap book of materials / colors / textures you liked, picked your top 5, and put them all on the house. I think in the long run you'd be a lot happier with something more cohesive that shows a little restraint.

Assuming all of your material choices and design are locked in. Here's are some "rules" I would adopt:

- On the second story keep the square-grid cement panels and Hardie siding the same color. Their distinctive patterns will give each material enough separation.
- Decide on the focal point for the front of your house and let everything else take on a supporting role. In my opinion I would pick the cedar addition. Don't let other elements distract from its beauty.
- Because the front door is small an functionally important, feel free to pick something "out there."
- Keep the lower level brick fairly neutral and natural. Don't let it steal the thunder of the cedar.
- Think about whether you really want anyone who comes to your house to have their eyes drawn to the garage door first. My advice, have it blend with the brick.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 am

I am partial to earth tones and natural colors. more cohesive exterior materials. leave the 'pop" for the front door. no need to draw attention to the garage door.

the trendy additions (horizontal wood pop-out, window corner) leaves the exterior feel too busy. the eye bounces around to the different surfaces.

if it were me, and I desired a Mid-century look, I would resurface the brick with 16x8x1 concrete pavers, straight stack horizontal, natural; opt for a vertical thin groove siding for the upper part and lower pop-out, using only two surfaces instead of four. is the existing brick structural of a decretive facade?
Last edited by Joe on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 am

It is my opinion that the existing brick is fine. I think the thing you do not like about now is it's relation to the existing paint color. Your future maintenance tasks will be reduced if you leave it alone. It is in fact the most originally mid-century element left on your house. I like the olive siding, but there is a very wide range just with that. (far beyond what you show) I think a red-orange door would work best.

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I should have mentioned that was a garage door in the renderings but it has since been removed and will just be hardie now. We decided to finish out the garage and make a game room out of it.

I am going to paint it the same color as the brick. Sorry for the confusion. I agree that it would take too much focus away from other key focal points if another color.

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 pm

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:49 pm

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:16 pm

The main reason (well maybe besides of the fact that I just dont like the actual color) that I want to change the brick is I just dont think the current color will contrast with the cedar enough which I agree should be the focal point of all the materials. After that realization, we began brainstorming for brick color alternatives. I think either white, khaki, or the black would contrast with the cedar best. What do you guys think looks best along side cedar?

I have attached some photos of the houses we loved the colors of. That is how I came up with my color options, trying to take the ones I like and work it into my own scheme.

This is the house we designed our first color combination (Number 1-Original) from and probably still our favorite as far as colors/materials go.

The following should give a good idea of what I have in mind with both the black and Cedar or the Off White or Khaki and Cedar

Using Olive Green

This is what I envision when I say black brick

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 am

After looking at the last set of photos I can see where you're going with the palette. Notice though that all of those houses you like are flat roofed and very industrial looking - the mix of industrial textures and contrasting colors work along the modernist paradigm in regards to the overall shapes of those buildings. What throws me off on your house is the hip roof - if you put your hand over the images and make the roof flat, your house works better in any of those color combinations and designs. The take away for me is to take the design back to the mid-century slice of time and away from the more modernist, Dwell magazine-favored pre-hab look of your last set of pictures. The ranch-house bones of your house, the roof-line, the shapes and relationships of the existing doors and windows - it's hard to get away from the original intentions of the architect towards the direction you favor, without making the house look "put together" - I think Stephen hit it on the head when he suggested some restraint. Let the differences in the textures creates shapes in the viewer's mind and use color to draw the eye to focal points. Just my two cents.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:40 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 am

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:04 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:20 am

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”