bees in my soffit

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

redneckmodern
Modern Master

bees in my soffit

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 am

while we're supposed to be kind to the bees, i don't really approve of them living in my roof. the undersides of the eaves of our eichler are redwood t+g butted up to the fascia (i think i have my roof terminology correct) -- and then a foam roof over that.

over the years, gaps have opened up -- in fact, we found a huge (old) nest in the wall from an that is in about the same location of concern. when we reinstalled the siding, we did what we could to seal everything up, but with an old house on shifty soil, things loosen up and a tiny crack is all they seem to need for a doormat. this weekend, it seems like they've bored into one of the redwood 2X6 fascia boards which i'll have to chip at and re-fill...

i've only seen one or two bees (the fat, round black ones -- no wasps, hornets. etc.) climbing in and out and don't hear an entire colony in the walls, but it still has me concerned.

save caulking all of the joints (there are a lot -- so that might be an impossibility) or the ginormous mess of expanding foam (we have sealed up a few larger spots) what can i do about keeping them at bay? i've tried the "home defense" type general insecticides as well as one of the "30-foot hornet" sprays, but nothing seems to deter them.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 am

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 pm

You've got Carpenter bees. Nasty little fat f's. They will eat a hole in your siding/beams and plant their little ones in there. When the little ones awake they like to eat their way out. I've been fighting them for years (and am losing). The other problem I have is the woodpeckers like to eat them it seems so they open the holes up to get at them.You can buy Carpenter bee "dust" online and squirt the dust into the hole and then cork it up. There is also some liquid you can spray on your wood that is supposed to keep them off but I'm still having trouble with them after spraying. I don't remember if the discussion was on here or not but I've read somewhere that one person who had them liked to sit on their deck with a tennis racket and knock them out of the air as they hovered by. I don't think they sting and are slow as hell.

Good luck and if you find something that works PLEASE post back.

ch

Postby ch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Ah yes, Carpenter bees. They just love the cypress siding of my house too. Saw the first couple a day ago. They are really hard to get rid of. They look like Yellow Jackets but are not the same type of bee at all, they don't swarm and only sting if really directly provoked. Easiest way to tell: Carpenter bees bore a perfect round hole about 3/8" in diameter for access. They don't digest the wood, they just need to get it out of their way.

Now since you are in California, you may have some other kind of bee than the Carpenter of the Northeast so be advised.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:29 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Ahh. I have thought about posting about critters.
I have them all.
My third spring in this house has just erupted and my 8th, (i've been counting), carpenter bee just
fell from the sky..In the house! The first was in Jan with a foot of snow on the ground.

You all have two choices.
1. Bees are good. Grandpa on page 835 google search likes to let them bee. :roll:
2. 'The mofo's are eating my house!' war!

I'm trying to find a nice gentle organic solution.
I made them houses...page 285.
You can research on google until your head spins spitting peas.

I did have success last spring with an extension ladder. Slowly going around and finding every hole.
I used boric acid and bee stuff followed with steel wool and i even caulked. (not very organic)
I really just cared about the deck area. And had great success. Not a one helicopter bomber buzzing
all summer.
But i must have caulked in a family up front. They ate into the house and we cannot find the entry hole.

My neighbors have the exterminator guy. He just sprays willy-nilly all over their houses. I would rather
get up close and get to know the trouble and wash the windows at the same time. oy.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 am

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 pm

two words: DRIONE and CYPERMETHRIN

Pretty good info below with a couple videos. I have the same problem, so I was looking this up yesterday and bookmarked it.

ch

Postby ch » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:04 am

OHMYGOD,

I got tired just reading about what I am supposed to do!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:39 am

It is a beautiful day in the NEast. I'll be out there searching for holes...

I've bookmarked a few pages.
This one is a simple explanation.
http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/stinging ... erbees.htm

This one defends the bees and i tend to agree. We need them but they
need to live somewhere else.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/B314_Carpe ... trol.shtml

This one had me jump out of my skin!
http://carpenterbeechamber.com/?gclid=C ... 5Qodwlk2Qg

Silly to buy these. Easy to make.

I realize now what i did wrong. I sealed up the holes too soon.
The deck area is my real concern. But it is the easiest to treat. I can
reach with chair or small step ladder.
One dog is allergic. He has learned and runs terrified. He was stung by
bumble bees as a puppy and reacts to the sound.

Also nice to know. When they hover, they are near home and protecting.
makes it easy to find.

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:23 pm

With the bee population at risk of collapse and our food supply dependent on their work, I suggest some enlightened alternatives. Here's an article about a group in So. Cal. that will remove your bees humanely, maybe they know some folks in Northern Cal.

California has several species of solitary bees. Native plant guru and naturalist Judith Larner Lawry writes about these in Gardening wih a Wild Heart, here's a link to that page in her book and a related article about how to attract these creatures.

"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”