dry rot repair flat roof QUESTIONS

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kraftdee
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

dry rot repair flat roof QUESTIONS

Postby kraftdee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Hello, all.
We've been trying to figure out the best way to do dry rot repair and hope someone can help with these questions.
Our home is mid-cent modern post n beam with a 7 yr old rock&tar (hot mop) roof with a slight pitch and cantilevered eves. Many of the extended rafter tails have considerable dry rot.

The plan is to cut back the roof 2-3 ft, remove some of the ship lap and angle cut the rafters & piece on new wood w/ dowels and screws or L cut with crews.

Question is: 1) Which is the best way to piece on? Angle cut & Dowel or L cut with screws?
2) Which is best way to "put back" the roof. Several roofers have said my roof which is 7 years old is in good shape and should last another 10+ years.
One roofer would use Hot Mop to tie in for $3800
another said Peel and Stick is good and will be $2000
Both are reputable. Is the Hot Mop overkill for nearly 2x the cost?
Will peel & stick do the job?
What are the pros and cons of each?
Want it to last until it's time to replace the roof.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:09 pm

Howdy! Not sure about your roof thing, but Czech this oot:

This is what I did to my house and it's very stable; if you want to over-kill this, put some epoxy in between the joints. That will make it more water-tight and more rigid; it will in a way be welding the wood together, and it won't be just the screws/nails holding it together.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”