Built-ins Post Your Pics.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Built-ins Post Your Pics.

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Planning on creating custom built-ins. Would love to get a look at what you have. Don't be shy. Post a pic or a link.

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 pm

do consult Neutra Works book. His built-ins are second to none.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

yes...pix please!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:35 am

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 pm

A house of brick and cypress boards, inside and out, requires cabinetry that will house a flat-screen TV, stereo equipment, and the owner's
standing speakers, in a twenty-foot alcove. These studies show a unit built of the same 11-inch boards that line the walls. The large door
slides to the right, revealing the wall-mounted TV screen.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:16 pm

or one of our resident architects. nice stuff SDR!
Last edited by Joe on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Thunk ya, suh. If it gets built, I'll be coaching from half a continent away. So far, so good.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Digging the plans, SDR.

Did some Google image searches for MCM built ins. Nothing.

Anyone have any pics of theirs or others? Post 'em up.

Cheers,

-Baz

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:55 pm

What function(s) are you expecting these built-ins to serve -- storage, display, media, seating -- or all of the above ?

SDR

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:58 pm

SDR,

For my purpose it's storage and media. But at this point just wanting to collect inspirations across various functions.

-B

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:36 pm

I have a book by William J. Hennessey called The Complete Book Of Built-Ins. (Originally published in 1950.) Its loaded with great designs. You can pick it up on Amazon for a few $s.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

In their 1945 home-design book "Tomorrow's House," architects George Nelson and Henry Wright show this "storagewall" (their term).

The captions read (clockwise from below, including four that are off-page to the left):

Cabinet for vases, etc.

Magazine shelves

Miscellaneous storage

Back of sports and "wet closet"

Back of game closet opening on hall side

Typical book shelf

Back of dead storage units opening on hall side

Built-in desk

Record storage

Drawer unit houses record player

Built-in radio cabinet
Speaker at correct height

The paragraph accompanying this illustration reads:

"From storage cabinets and furniture that is attached to the wall. . .it is only a step to the use of such equipment to form the walls themselves -- a
device which we have named the "storagewall." This arrangement takes only a little more space than the ordinary partition, and is extremely
flexible, since the various units used to make up a particular wall can be arranged in any desirable pattern and faced in either direction, serving
two rooms with the same wall. The wall shown (which we designed for LIFE) is intended for use between a living room and entrance hall, and is
12" thick."

[/i]

MCMLII
Modern Fan

Postby MCMLII » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:04 pm

You've seen mine :wink:

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm

NuTone AM/FM/FM stereo/tape/phonegraph system with 10-channel intercom

Built in charcoal BBQ grille in the gameroom fireplace stone.
The original NuTone vent hood is now reinstalled above the grille, not shown in this picture.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Here's our little built in. We love it. Came with original blueprints too in the architect drawers below!......Grainy pics...sorry bout that.

Last edited by Scott NC on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Wow -- there it is, speakers "at the correct height" (?) and all. What is the date of construction ?

There's no doubt that Nelson and Wright's storagewall was very influential. In the mid 'fifties my parents re-did a portion of our 'thirties Dutch Colonial
foursquare in suburban New York; the neighborhood architect included a varnished fir ply wall like this in the new den. The floor was red and black
checkerboard VCT, I think. Heh-heh. . .

SDR

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm

That's what I'm talking about Scot & Amber. Lovely.

-Baz

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm really glad this thread came up. The fact is, most of us live in homes designed for relatively middle-class families with an above-average interest in architecture.

Fast forward to the present and many of these homes are being occupied by people with interest levels and means above those of the original occupants. Built-ins are a great way to add what the original architect most likely would have given a larger budget and personal interaction with the original owners. Another thing the built-ins do is update the home for many of the idiosyncrasies of 20th century life. In most cases our homes were not designed for multi-computer home offices, home theaters, flat panel televisions, or DVD (now BluRay) collections.

In my business, I have many clients who dream of a custom home (and in SoCal, that usually means $,$$$,$$$) but they are on a tract home budget. A big question I'm always asked is what they can do to make their tract home seem less "tracty." I think with built-ins you truly crossed that boundary of changing the fabric of a house. Rooms no longer have a "lowest common denominator" feel to the design; they take on specific purpose.

Anyhow, SDR, I need you to design a built-in for my dining room. :wink: +23452345234 points for incorporating the design language of your home into the built-in design.

Any DIY efforts that people would like to share?
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 am

This is the built ins I made for our dressers and clothes.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Looks like Jerad went the Kerf route. I'd-a thought a young architect would start from scratch -- but you picked a dandy prototype, I'd say.
What material are the doors made of, Jerad ? I'll have to check your blog to see what else has been built since I looked last.

I sure do agree with Stephen about built-in cabinetry "changing the fabric of a house." A short while ago we saw a house in the real estate section
here that had built-ins in nearly every room. I recall commenting on how it enriched the ambience. . .

Just to clarify, the thing I drew above ain't for me. My arty-crafty space filled up long ago !

SDR

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:28 pm

SDR the doors are actually just baltic birch painted. I painted them with Manor Hall.....a really nice paint from Benj. Moore. Rolled on with a foam roller gives it a really great texture. The doors where natural baltic birch for the first few years we lived in the house, I always had the intention to paint them and finally got the nerve before a photoshoot.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks, Jerad. Looks good. I just checked out your house and shop -- good going. Great tools, lovely house, swell hardwood furniture projects -- and
the longest Dux sofa ever made ? Love your cats. And if that's really a sumac by the front door, you take the cake: my favorite plant of all time.

Congratualtions all around and keep it up !

SDR

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:30 am

If you're still looking for built in ideas here are a couple from the guest bedroom, now a music room.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:36 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am

MattMCM
Modern Fan

Postby MattMCM » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Here are some built-in drawers in my bedroom.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:46 am

I had the opportunity to visit Haus Le Corbusier in Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago (I wrote a recommendation under the ModCom Preservation Forum-- two thumbs up!).The restored living areas had some really interesting built-ins and retractable walls. Having been designed in 1927 the built-ins were fairly basic, even a little crude by 1950/60s MCM standards. However, I really liked their simplicity, and was impressed by how well they still functioned despite being opened/closed by hundreds of visitors each week. It was also interesting to get to see a such a well preserved time capsule of the early thinking about how fixed furniture elements can enhance rather than inhibit open plan living and multi use rooms-- it seems obvious now, but this is quite a conceptual leap if you think about it.

The following are a few pictures (some are mine, some from the web):

Living/sleeping

Living/sleeping

Kitchen

Exterior (for ref)
You are born modern, you do not become so.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 am

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am

Another Pioneer fan? Good eye. Just got the JBL's for it a couple of months ago, nice combination (if you like loud).

SDR,
All three extra bedrooms have the built ins under the windows with closet/shelving on the opposite side although the other rooms are bigger with sliding doors in front of the shelving.

I have always enjoyed moving furniture around to new locations when bored with a room, these bedrooms (and pretty much the whole house) don't really allow it. Moving the bed when growing up was a major deal to me and I kind of miss it. The spare bedrooms only really have one wall that would take a bed unless you don't mind the bed being seen from the hallway when walking by. It doesn't seem like it would be very comforting while lying in bed if the headboard were in line with the door. I personally think the trade off is worth it to have the built ins (as far as looks goes) but if I were 12 again I'm not so sure.

Anybody have any 12 yr olds around they can ask? Do they like moving the beds? Believe it or not I've moved the beds in hotel rooms to better enjoy a view out of sliding glass doors.

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 am

We had a "jog" in our living room wall that was almost the exact depth of a CD case, so we drew up some designs in AutoCAD (one of us is an interior designer) and had our contractor build and install these shelves, then stain them to match the existing half wall that looks down into the foyer...came out pretty good!

Oh, and our house is in an architect-designed tract in Toronto, Canada and built in '61.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 am

Our music hub:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”