lighting issue

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vanderwaal
Modern Fan

lighting issue

Postby vanderwaal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 am

i need some options for a flush mount ceiling light. my dilemma comes in the form of 7 ft ceilings (yes, 7') in my living room so the fixture needs to really hug the ceiling. the fixture that is in there currently really doesn't work. it is this thing...

... cheap and ugly... and i have two of them. they've got to go.

so, what are some authentic options for a ceiling hugging fixture?

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:17 am

tough one

almost any ceiling mounted lighting fixture you are going to get is going to be, out of necessity, 4-7 inches thick. If you are open to recessed lighting fixtures that is the way I would go, remove the fixture all together.

authentic options would be the old glass saucer held on the light component by a threaded nut.
Shane Hood
Lortondale
Tulsa, Oklahoma
lortondale.com
oneoneth.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:58 am

funny, I am having the same issue in a narrow hallway and 7 ft ceilings.

I just discovered some nice, timeless lights that will work. I need to get the brand, though

vanderwaal
Modern Fan

Postby vanderwaal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 am

really would rather not go with recessed lighting. too modern-modern for my tastes. i was think about something like this...

i whipped this up in illustrator but i can remember fixtures like this in houses when i was a kid. sometimes they would have small pin holes in the top "shade" part. tell me i'm not dreaming this up and that there is a resource for obtaining such a fixture.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:35 am

you are not dreaming, this was more or less the fixture I was talking about.

A stroll on down to your local habitat for humanity can usually score you one or two of these type fixtures. At least here in Tulsa it can. Check ebay and craigslist as well, people are always getting rid of these light fixtures for nothing.
Shane Hood

Lortondale

Tulsa, Oklahoma

lortondale.com

oneoneth.com

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 pm

I agree; Gabby and I find these everywhere! If you get an extra big one, and you break the shade, you might be SOL finding a replacement though. Another option would be to get a few pole lamps and put them in the corners; we just found one that uses six bulbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no want of light coming from this monster!
Or you can go this route:
[img]

You can find these shades almost anywhere; these are all period lighting too, and use the El Cheapo bases you can get for a few bux at any home salvage place. They use the same type of shade you'd use in the fixture Vanderwaal suggested, only you're not using the aluminum skirt that it attaches to. Another reason to go with this type of light is that the skirt is going to channel the light, down away from the ceiling, and will make it in a sense, fixed direction, directional lighting, does this make sense? Without the skirt, it will cast the light along the surface of the ceiling making the ambient light better. If you find different shade, you can mess with people's heads and change them out every week or so, "Why no, that's always been there..."
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Slim-

those are the exact lights I was talking about earlier. You can find them for a few dollars everywhere.
Shane Hood

Lortondale

Tulsa, Oklahoma

lortondale.com

oneoneth.com

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scowsa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 pm

If you go to the Lowe's site and type "flushmount" into Search, you get lights like this

which is 4" H

or

which is 4.75" H
scowsa

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 pm

I believe that the least flattering, the least pleasant light in a room comes from centered overhead fixtures. The fact that this is the default location
for built-in room lighting is not cause to believe that it is best -- only that it is an easy way for the builder to satisfy the minimum requirement for a
light fixture in each room. In my opinion, these lights are good for housecleaning, or when the authorities visit, perhaps.

(Does anyone think that getting a burned scalp is one of the pleasures of home ownership ? I don't. . .)

There are many alternatives, most of which would serve the poster's low-ceilinged space better. If ceiling fixtures are a must, for some reason, let
them be installed in the four corners of the room, where the light will wash the walls and expand the space by virtue of their spread-out location.

Another choice would be floor or wall-mounted uplights (i.e., torchieres or sconces), which spread light on the ceiling from where it spreads
flatteringly outward and downward, indirectly.

Finally, ordinary table and floor lamps provide a far more homey and pleasant light, than the cyclops in the middle of the room. (In my
apartment, I suspended a shallow ceiling-colored cardboard tray from the dim-able central fixture; it allows light to spread outward in a flat plane to
the tops of the walls. I find it a nice secondary source of light in the room -- and it hides the obnoxious but unavoidable nuisance planted on the ceiling.)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:31 pm

SDR: hey fella, you some kinda pinko er somethin? Yer askin' these good folks to do somethin' UNAMERICAN! (that's a joke son!)

"In my opinion, these lights are good for housecleaning, or when the authorities visit, perhaps."
WOW, that's a great line, I raise my can of Pabst Blue Ribbon to you sir! Being someone with VERY light sensitive eyes, I agree with you whole heartedly, especially when it comes to lighting a bedroom; there's nothing like a good retina-scorching when you're laying in bed and you glance up at the ceiling. Although, overhead light is good when you’re watching the teevee, if the light must be on at all, this way it’s usually out of your peripheral vision, and less torturous. We have some directional lighting, and it seems like no matter what I do, one of them seems to always be pointed right in my eyes, “Vee haf vays uf makink you talk!”
Miguel found us two old school lamps, 1950-60’s pendants, of three concentric rings each, made of sheet-metal; these should look super boss once I get them painted and wired for 110 V.A.C., as opposed to 800!!!!!!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 pm

You guys are the greatest. My hat's off. . .

:D

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

vanderwaal
Modern Fan

Postby vanderwaal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 am

oh, i hardly ever use the overhead light. i use lamps. i just can't stand the fixture that is in the ceiling now. now, they do come in handy when cleaning (makes seeing the floor your vacuuming easier) and for some reason my wife thinks we need one so keeping her happy makes my life easier. i like that lowes' model. might have to swing by there after work and pick one up. it isn't exactly right in that i would prefer straight sides but it is close and i can paint the outside.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”