Flat or Satin for Exterior

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DamonBoost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flat or Satin for Exterior

Postby DamonBoost » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 pm

I am curious to what most people use on the exterior of homes, flat or satin??? I know flat is not the easiest to keep clean on the inside so it caused me to wonder how it performs on the exterior. Of course flat would be my first choice if easy to keep clean. I will be using Sherwin Williams Duration paint.
::damon::

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:13 pm

flat

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Is there any difference between durability (how long the paint holds it's color) b/t the flat and satin?

Also, is there a major difference in how either sheen's are affected by weather?

Does the satin sheen resist moisture any better due to the rain rolling off it faster?

Finally is there much difference between the two when cleaning the seperate sheens?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 am

no
no
no
not an issue. flat cleans fine

seriously, flat is the way to go.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 am

SW Duration paint is a very good product, but definitely not cheap. I'd have used that paint for my current house-painting project if their store hadn't refused to do the color I wanted.

Conventional wisdom is that satin is easier to clean than flat. That's certainly true for interior walls, at least when scrubbing is required for cleaning. I've never seen a difference for exterior surfaces.

I'm with Joe on this one. Flat will work perfectly fine.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:24 am

You guys are awesome, I am buying my paint for the fascia before Sunday (They are offering 30% off Duration paint until then) and needed to find this out quick. I was freaking out as to which to get.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:13 am

yes. duration flat. the paint is thick -- almost like pudding-cup pudding... and best to use a tinted primer underneath even though it's s'posed to be an "all in one" paint (how often do you really want to paint the outside of your house?). so far, we've been happy with the duration. if you lay it on too thick (i.e.: buildup in siding grooves), it will crack/fissure. we've brush-applied with a backroll with a smooth roller.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:17 am

I would also like to point out that satin may be the choice for a kitchen or bath, but is not a good choice for other rooms. The sheen, however slight, still shows surface imperfections. And it is impossible to touch up. Folks always say they want something they can wash, but how often does one wash the walls? I may clean small areas, but a complete wash I only do before repainting. Quality flat paint washes just as well as satin.

By the way, paint quality is kind of a red herring. There was a time when this was an issue. But at least 20 years ago regulations where put into place that make all but the cheapest "ceiling white" good paint. All professional painters have preferences, but that is usually based on how the paint flows or even the discount they get on material. A quality paint job is all prep. It's the primer that matters. That can (and should) cost more than the paint.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:25 am

Most newer interior flat paints are cleanable now as well, so the satin vs flat debate is moot as far as that goes.

The main difference in paint price points is linked to the amount of pigmentation in the paint. The more pigment, the more expensive, the fewer coats necessary. There are other things as well but for the most part.
Shane Hood
Lortondale
Tulsa, Oklahoma
lortondale.com
oneoneth.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am

I support the 'flat' vote as well for your 'exterior' paint project. Looks better. Absorbs the light for a richer
finish rather than reflect, and yes, hides any imperfections.

I used Benny Moore 'scrubbable matt' for interior kitchen. When 'bob the dog'
cut his tail and ran around happy...

A hall wall that has not been painted looks like a crime scene. I've
switched to their low voc line but not tried it yet.
Last edited by rockland on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

agreed rockland

after 50 years the original drywall in my place was looking tired. A little bit of spackle here and there and some flat paint did wonders for the walls.
Shane Hood

Lortondale

Tulsa, Oklahoma

lortondale.com

oneoneth.com

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

Just to clarify this post is referring to choices for EXTERIOR paint sheens.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:04 am

yeah but the same holds true...a little wood putty here and there, some sanding and some exterior flat should have the house looking great.
Shane Hood

Lortondale

Tulsa, Oklahoma

lortondale.com

oneoneth.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 am

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Joe. I didn't realize you had so much on the list. Your house looks so great i thought it was
completed. I do remember a time back seeing some original colors along the base when
baseboard was removed.
I have a little 1880 saltbox with high gloss marine enamel on the kitchen ceiling. It is amazing and
probably keeping that sweet little box glued together.
My bathrooms here are cedar and tile, but yes, i would use a satin or semi in a steamy shower area.

hood
Modern Socialite

Postby hood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 pm

You can also get an Antimicrobial Flat paint for the bathroom. Prevents mold.
Shane Hood

Lortondale

Tulsa, Oklahoma

lortondale.com

oneoneth.com

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 pm

I think you're right Rockland...the paint was a light blue/turqouise color wasn't it?

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:12 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”