Dirty AC Ducts in our SLAB

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dirty AC Ducts in our SLAB

Postby bitzala » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:35 am

Hmm.
Sounds like efflorescense (sp?) (calcium/lime) deposits.
The white stuff. Lots of additives in cement over the years and helps curing?
Stabilizes the cement for different climates i think.
It is good to not be alarmist over the situation. I would think heat and ac causes a more drying
effect than mold. I doubt my ductwork has ever been cleaned (same age as yours) but not in the
slab.
I put down a rubber mat in our garage at the entrance of a door for the winter and is now very wet
underneath with white calcium deposits surrounding it. Looks like road salt.
As long as you keep your filters changed regularly, your air is probably clean.
I was baffled by how dusty our house is and many spider webs but i live in a forest. (I just vacuumed
the entire ceiling). I also put filters in the metal vents that are resting in the floor. They are clean after
3 months. I was going to have one tested if it showed anything odd but most of the crud is on top
(some dog food bits and house dirt) from falling into them.
You could have some tests done? I think he is just scratching his head. That would be awful to put in
duct work on a post and beam ceiling.
Hopefully someone has a similar system that can shed some light.
Isn't having duct work cleaned just a spring cleaning thing? Shouldn't hurt to vaccum it really but
is it necessary if the air intake is filtered properly?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 am

DO NOT PUT DUCTS OVERHEAD!

I have seen too many MCM houses messed up this way. It is a HVAC guys standard off the cuff response to underslab ductwork.

Are you sure the ducts are metal and not cardboard? The underslab "sonoduct" (as in sonotube) ducts can be a problem to clean. Do you have perimeter ductwork with multiple feeders like a wagon wheel?

There should be no problems cleaning metal ductwork. I just would not be around for a few days while everything settles out of the air.

By the way the black mold is much more dangerous than the white mold. And it probably is not even mold, but for peace of mind you can easily have it tested.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 am

consider talking to a neighbor who have a similar set up and ask them who cleans their ducts.

water in the ducts has been mentioned here several times by SoCal Eichler owners. I think Futura Girl faced it before too... MM?

if that fails, look for a local HVAC cleaning service who's been in business for a long time (like 30+ years) and have them clean it for you.

if your system is rendered dead, consider a radiant floor heat overlay retrofit. nothing cleaner than radiant heat. you'll find success stories on the Eichler Network site. www.eichlernetwork.com

I have seen too many HVAC sales whores talk homeowners into ridiculous octopus heating systems which destroy the aesthetics of the home. they don't care about your house or design. they just want to sell you products :?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:40 pm

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:59 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:36 am

hortonhw
Modern Fan

Postby hortonhw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:29 pm

JGropp

Thirty years of stuff-

Postby JGropp » Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm

One of the very first things we did
when we bought our '55 home was
to get the perimeter ducts vacuum
cleaned. Thirty years of stuff came
out & was carted away rather than
circulated around the house. Jerry-

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”