Sam Maloof

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Sam Maloof

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 am

Farewell to one of my personal heroes...
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 7018.story

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Sat May 23, 2009 5:52 am

''I would rather have something that was well designed but poorly crafted,'' he said, eating his sandwich, ''than something that was beautifully crafted into a bad design.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/garde ... lof&st=cse

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Sam Maloof is dead less than three weeks, and Thomas Moser knocks off his rocker ? Looks like a nice design. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ?

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:16 pm

There are many artisans who pay homage to Maloof - more than a dozen and many sell plans (Maloof never did). You can usually see subtle differences in the form - Maloof's have more of an "edgy" organic feel to them - the ends of the arm rests are generally angular while most knock-offs are rounded. The important parts involve the jointery between the armrest supports and seat - lot's of rasp work there to get the shape down. I plan to make my own Maloof chair one day - I just haven't decided what material to use yet. The quantity of claro walnut I'd need is prohibitive - thought about doing something in fiddle-back maple, if I can find enough thick pieces for some of the parts. It's tough to find matching materials, even from the same tree.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Yes -- wood selection is one of the pleasures (when it goes well) of woodworking.

Somewhere just recently I saw a room with lots of medium-dark oak (?) trim
-- and the grain was all about the same. I wish I'd saved the photo, because I
though at the time "that's no accident -- someone spent a bit of time, and/or got lucky,
to assemble that much wood with the same grain appearance. . ."

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”